||A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture|
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
JACK ORR BOYTE (1920-2005)
Boyte was born in Charlotte and attended Charlotte Central High School. He served as a Captain in the Army Air Corps during WWII. In 1951, he graduated from Georgia Tech with a BS degree in Architecture. It was there he met Frank Lloyd Wright who looked at his drawings and said, "You’ve got work to do." In 1952 he went to work for Louis H. Asbury & Son and left in 1959 to start his own firm.
At that point Boyte abandoned Modernism entirely, preferring instead to focus on traditional design and the historic preservation of older buildings. In 1992, he published "Houses of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County."
Boyte received the Robert Stipe Award from the North Carolina Preservation Foundation and the Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission's Annual Award for achievement in historic preservation.
About 1952 - A house at Cassamia Place and Providence Road, Charlotte. Designed by Boyte when he worked for Louis Asbury and Son. Destroyed.
1954 - The Maurice and Judith B. Nieman House at 1930 Providence Road, Charlotte. Designed by Boyte when he worked for Louis Asbury and Son. Project manager, Robert Arzola. Sold in 1996 to Ronald Wootten and Timothy Hamilton. Sold in 2015 to Kathryn E. and James S. Dockery III.
1956 - The Solomon and Shirley Levine Residence, 2300 Cloister Drive, Charlotte. Designed by Boyte when he worked for Louis Asbury and Son. According to Solomon Levine, Boyte's initial design proposed constructing it around an existing tree. The Levines vetoed the idea. Features a kosher kitchen with two sinks. Sold in 2003 to Brian and Martha Herbert. Sold in 2007 to Carol Ambrose and Andrew Beary. All photos except top by George Smart.
1956 - The Hyman Polk House, 2101 Cloister, Charlotte. Designed by Boyte when he worked for Louis Asbury and Son. Sold to at least three other owners, the last of which painted the brick. Sold in 1993 to Michael K. Warner. Sold in 2010 to Luka and Kelly Lojk.
Sources include: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission,