||A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
ROBERT W. (BOB) CONNER (1914-2007)
Conner was a native of Wilkes-Barre PA. He grew up in Utica NY before attending Duke University. He served in the Seabees during WWII. After WWII he transferred to study architecture at NCSU.
He worked for High Point architects Louis Voorhees and Eccles Everhart from 1948 until he opened his own practice in High Point in 1956.
Using a variety of styles, he designed many buildings including the First Reformed United Church of Christ, the High Point Public Library, the Scottish Bank, and the B’Nai Israel Synagogue. He retired in 1980.
Additional Resource: 2001 Interview
1956 - The Robert Conner Residence, 1405 Emerywood Drive, High Point NC. An avid environmentalist, Bob blended his home with its heavily wooded site with western red cedar sheathing and a low roofline. Walls are built of historic bricks salvaged from a demolished downtown building. Top photo from High Point Museum. Sold in 2000 to Sharon and Kent Wilmoth, still owners as of 2014.
Sources include: Preservation Greensboro, his wife Elizabeth Conner, daughter Susan, Joe Hayworth.