||A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture|
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
PHILIP L. (PHIL) SZOSTAK, FAIA (1953-)
Phil Szostak grew in up in Greensboro. He graduated from the NCSU School of Design in 1975 and has taught a graduate studio there intermittently since 1976. He also interned with Harry Wolf.
After working for Arthur Cogswell for a few years, he opened Philip Szostak Associates in 1980. In 1990, he became NC Principal for NBBJ, America's second largest architectural practice at the time. After 12 years he left NBBJ to re-open his own firm, Szostak Design.
In February 2003 he was curator for The North Carolina School: The Art of Architecture at Duke's Nasher Museum of Art, an exhibition of the works by graduates and faculty of the NCSU School of Design over the last 50 years. Cited by Metro Magazine as “ a timely and beautifully rendered reminder of North Carolinas enduring tradition of modern architecture and the architects who design it," the exhibit featured architectural models, free-hand sketches, pastels, graphics and watercolors by 21 practicing North Carolina architects.
Szostak is known for many buildings including the WRAL-TV addition and the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC). He founded the Triangle Architecture Design Society (TADS), an informal group of noted area architects who judged the 2014-2016 NCMH Project BauHow competitions.
1977 - The Robert and Patrice Pilz House, 1216 Onslow Road, Raleigh. During construction, the clients were transferred by their employer and never moved in. Szostak rented it from them for a few years. Sold in 1979 to Russell and Brenda Combs. Sold in 1997 to architect Marjorie Acker and Debra Haraway. Deeded in 2001 to Marjorie Acker.
1985 - The Julius Verwoerdt House, aka The Stables, Bill Poole Road, Rougemont NC. Built by Cleora-Sterling of Chapel Hill. Traditional design for which Szostak later did an addition. Has been sold.
1986 - The Gables, 620 MLK Boulevard (formerly Airport Road), Chapel Hill. 16 condos.
1990 - The Phillip Szostak and George Horton III House, 216 Chesley Lane, Chapel Hill. Sold to Melvin and Glenene Harris in 1993. Sold in 1999 to Jerry Finkel and Annette Swanstrom. Sold in 2008 to Ping Fu and Herbert Edelsbrunner.
2003 - The Joseph Rowand Residence, aka Fairmount, 4600 Old NC Highway 86, between Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. Built by Chuck Lewis Construction. Landscape design by Dick Bell. After years on the market after a foreclosure, sold in 2014 to Robbin Gourley and Jeffrey Stern. Photos by Jim Sink.
2004 - The Marvin and Marilyn Genzer Residence, 245 Stony Branch Trail, Chapel Hill.
2006 - The Phil and Rhonda Szostak House, aka the New Southern House, aka the Metro house due to its mention in Metro Magazine, 1222 Homestead Road, Chapel Hill. Commissioned 2003. 3.2 acres. 5052 sf. Larger photos by Casey Laborde. Sold in 2010 to Frank and Renee Floyd. Sold in 2013 to Carlos Velez and W. Kent Davis.
2008 - The Robert and Beth Rosenthal Addition, 9908 Cape Scott Court, Raleigh.
2012 - The Paul Snow and Meredith Sause House, 414 Yates Motor Company Alley, Chapel Hill. Built by Allen Knight. Won an AIA Triangle Award in 2013. Won an AIANC Merit Award in 2013.
2013 - Dogwood Road, Chapel Hill. Needs verification.
2013 - The Amrita and Deb Ashish Bhowmick House, aka the Ravine Residence, 550 Chase Park Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Built by Szostak Build, Inc. Engineer, Structural Visions.
2014 - The Thomas (Tom) and Jennifer Hahn House, aka House in Trillium Forest, 4253 Kingfisher Lane, Durham. Located in Orange County. Won an AIANC Merit Award.
2015 - The Walter and Gerda Hanek House, aka the Audi House, 2024 Starterwood Lane, Hillsborough NC. Commissioned 2010. Initial construction by Spyglass Building Company. Tonic Construction took over as builder in early 2014 and completed in 2015.
2014 - aka the Durham City Residence, Pinecrest Road, Durham. Unbuilt.
2014 - The Nancy Usher Williams Renovations, aka Erwin Road Residence 1, 102 Blue Dog Lane, Durham. Original house built in 1982. Photos by Duffy Healey.