Ctrl-F to search within page
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT (1867-1959)
Wright was born in Richland Center WI. His original middle name was Lincoln. From 1885 until 1887, he studied mechanical engineering at the University of Wisconsin but dropped out after only four semesters to work in the Chicago architectural practice of Joseph Lyman Silsbee. In 1887 Wright moved to work for Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan. After Sullivan caught him moonlighting on houses, Wright was fired. In 1893, Wright established his own office in Chicago.
Wright stood for the philosophy of "organic architecture," which maintains that a building should develop out of its natural surroundings. His designs for both private and public structures were boldly original, and he rebelled against classic architecture and its traditional ornamentation.
Wright initiated many new techniques such as the use of precast concrete blocks reinforced by steel rods. He introduced numerous residential innovations, including radiant floor heating. Besides architecture, Wright spent much of his time writing, lecturing, and teaching.
Wright died in 1959 and unleashed a huge debate, still going on, about what constitutes a Wright house. Is it a house he personally designed and saw through to construction? Is it a house he designed but was built by Taliesin staff after his death? Is it a house he designed but was built later by others? And what about modifications - just how many and to what extent do design changes make a Wright-designed house simply Wright-inspired?
Wright has been studied more than any other architect. With countless books, films, and dissertations, his brilliant career and turbulent personal life is well-documented. We focus here only on his houses.
Wright was one of the greatest figures in 20th-century architecture, and because of his immense popularity he continues to be one of the only architects the average person can name.
He was notoriously arrogant, and his late 1950's TV interview with Mike Wallace is a classic example. He was also on the 1950's TV show What's My Line. William Allin Storrer developed a numbering system which turned Wright-watching into a science.
Many thanks to Catherine Westergaard Cramer for her extensive research.
Wright visited NC State University's School of Design in May 1950. He stayed overnight at the home of Dean Henry Kamphoefner.
Wright, among many other unusual projects, designed a float for the 1957 Rose Bowl Parade.
Additional Resources: SaveWright, a listing of FLW homes on the market.
1889 - The Frank Lloyd Wright House and Studio, 951 Chicago Avenue, Oak Park IL. Playroom addition by Wright in 1894, commissioned 1893. Studio added in 1898, commissioned 1895. Converted into apartments by Wright in 1911. Converted back to the original Wright design by Clyde Nooker in 1956. Sold to the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust. Open for public tours.
1890 - The James A. Charnley Bungalow, 507 East Beach Road, Ocean Springs MS. Designed while Wright worked for Adler and Sullivan. Damaged during Hurricane Katrina then restored. Wright also designed an octagon guest house for Charnley at 509 East Beach Road.
1890 - The Henry N. Cooper House and Stable, La Grange IL. Designed while Wright worked for Adler and Sullivan. Unbuilt.
1890 - The Louis H. Sullivan Cottage and Stables, 100 Holcomb Boulevard, Ocean Springs MS. Designed while Wright was working for Adler and Sullivan. The stables were destroyed in 1942. The house was destroyed during Hurricane Katrina.
1891 - The William Storrs MacHarg House, aka the C. H. Berry House, aka the Berry-MacHarg House, 4632 North Beacon Street, Chicago IL. Designed while Wright was working for Adler and Sullivan, unknownst to his employers. Remodeled in 1903 by Louis Sullivan. Demolished in 1926.
1892 - The James A. Charnley House, aka the Charnley-Persky House, 1365 North Astor Street, Chicago IL. Designed while Wright was working forAdler and Sullivan. Commissioned 1891. Seymour Persky purchased it in 1995 and donated it to the Society of Architectural Historians. Open for public tours.
1892 - The Allison Harlan House, 4414 South Greenwood Avenue, Chicago IL. Wright was dismissed by Sullivan for moonlighting on this house for Harlan, one of the firm's established clients. According to the Harlan Family, Harlan demanded several changes to Wright's plan. The fireplace was moved from the central hall into the open living room, which was then divided into two parts. In about 1904, Harlan traded houses with his neighbors, the Byrneses, who sold Wright's structure in 1912. Vacant for years, it became a neighborhood hangout. For a short time it was used as a nursing home and then fell into ruin. A fire in 1963 caused enough damage to require its demolition. Now part of Burnham Park, bottom photo.
1892 - The George Blossom House, 4858 South Kenwood Avenue, Chicago IL. Wright designed this on his own, outside of employment by Adler and Sullivan. Wright did a garage addition, right photo, in 1907. Sold to Alice S. Baum.
1892 - The George and Carrie Blossom Cottage, North Maniou Island MI. Photo by Kerry Kelly.
1893 - The William H. Winslow House and Stables, 515 Auvergne Place, River Forest IL. Sold to June S. Walker. Sold in 2016.
1893 - The Robert Lamp Cottage, aka Rocky Roost, on Lake Mendota, Madison WI. Remodeled 1901. After college Lamp worked in the state land office. In 1892, he discovered a small island just off of Governors Island in Lake Mendota and built a cottage. By 1893 he and a partner built two more cottages, one by Wright. Both were destroyed by 1940.
1894 - The Frederick Bagley House,
121 South County Line Road, Hinsdale IL.
1894 - Four Houses for Robert W. Roloson, 3213-19 South Calumet,Chicago IL. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977 and designated a Chicago Landmark in 1979.
3213: Sold to Chicago Title Land Trust. Sold in 1990 to Paul and Gwendolyn Cohen. Sold to Sokoni and Ayana Karanja.
3215: Sold to Paul and Gwendolyn Cohen. Sold in 1997 to Vicki Crockett. Sold in 2009 to Vicki and Timothy Crockett.
3217: Sold to Clarence and Carol Wood.
3219: Sold to the Charles F. Johnson Trust. Sold in 1995 to Helen West.
1894 - The Henry and Lily Mitchell House,
905 South Main Street, Racine WI.
1895 - The Edward C. Waller Apartments,
2840-2858 West Walnut Street, Chicago IL.
1895 - The Nathan G. Moore House, aka the Hans Christian Anderson House, 333 Forest Avenue, Oak Park IL.Wright did a remodeling after a fire destroyed much of the original house. Left to Mary Hills when Nathan Moore died, Hills sold it in June 1947 to Milton and Mary Summerville. Sold to Bob Dugal. Was open for seasonal public tours until 2001.
1895 - The Harrison P. Young House Remodeling, 334 North Kenilworth Avenue, Oak Park IL. Sold in 1996 to Alicia and James Farrell. Sold in 2010 to Scott and Susan Caudell.
1897 - The George W. Furbeck House, 223 North Euclid Avenue, Oak Park IL. Sold to Audrey Kouvel.
1897 - The Rollin Furbeck House, 515 Fair Oaks Avenue, Oak Park IL. Sold to La Salle National Bank. Sold in 1998 to Thomas and Debra Abrahamson.
1897 - The Thomas H. Gale Cottage, 5318 South Shore Drive, Whitehall MI.
1898 - The Edward C. Waller House, River Forest, IL. Unbuilt. Waller was not only a client of long standing, but also a close friend. Most of the architectural work that was proposed for Waller concerned itself with large housing projects and civic projects. But a house was designed for him early in 1898, which he did not build, Rather, he commissioned Mr. Wright to remodel his existing house in River Forest, below.
1899 - The Joseph and Helen W. Husser House, Chicago IL. The open land between the house and the lake was taken over by apartment houses. Destroyed in 1926.
1901 - The William and Jessie M. Adams House, 9326 South Pleasant Avenue, Chicago IL. Commissioned 1900. Sold to Chicago Land Trust Company. Sold in 2006 to David and Jay Barclay.
1902 - The A. W. Herbert House Remodeling, 1014 Hinman Street, Evanston IL. Wright gave the house a more Prairie look by enclosing the front porch and extending the eaves to the roof line. A fire in 1969 destroyed much of the house but it has since been remodeled.
1902 - The George and Mary Gerts Double Bridge Cottage, 5260 South Shore Drive, Whitehall MI. Originally the addresses were 5260 and 5270. The design allowed for a wall between the units which was never built. The cottages are therefore open to each other. The bridge has always been a sleeping porch accessed from either cottage and leading to the other side of the creek.
1902 - The Walter Gerts Duplex, 5292 South Shore Drive, Whitehall MI. Has been relocated on the lot. Most of the original structure has been destroyed.
1902 - The Mosher House,
625 South Main Street, Wellington OH.
1902 - The William E. Martin House, 636 North East Avenue, Oak Park IL. Sold in 2008 to Richard and Laura Taleske.
1902 - The Charles R. Ross House, 3211 South Shore Drive, Delavan WI. Second photo by John Clouse.
1903 - The George F. Barton House, 118 Summit Avenue, Buffalo NY. Second photo by John Clouse. Sold to Martin House Restoration LLC.
1904 - The Highland Park House, Highland Park IL. Model for a suburban or urban lot. Unbuilt.
1904 - The H. J. Ullman House, Oak Park IL. Main living area is raised off the ground; overhanging eaves protect the window areas, and the fireplaces are grouped beneath one large chimney. Unbuilt.
1903 - The Warren H. Freeman House, 103 North Washington Street, Hinsdale IL. Sold to Bruce Ademec.
1904 - The Robert M. "Robie" Lamp House,
22 North Butler, Madison WI.
1904 - The Darwin D. Martin House,
125 Jewett Parkway, Buffalo NY. Commissioned 1903. Color photo by Iwan Baan. BW by
Ezra Stoller/ESTO. Sold to Sebastian Tauriello, who did alterations of his own design in 1954. Open for tours.
1905 - The Harvey P. Sutton House, 602 Norris Avenue, McCook NE. Sold to Donald Poore.
1906 - The Aline Devin Cottage, Eliot ME. Unbuilt.
1906 - The A. W. Gridley House, aka the Ravine House, 605 North Batavia Road, Batavia IL. Sold to third generation Gridley family member Mary L. Snow. Was on the market 2009-2013.
1906 - The Peter A. Beachy Remodel, 238 Forest Avenue, Oak Park IL. Photo by James McNally. Sold to Gabriella Freese in 1977. There was a fire in 1990, after she remodeled back to the 1906 design. Sold in 2005 to Alexander and Alec Harris.
1907 - The Stephen M. B. Hunt House I, 345 Seventh Avenue, La Grange IL. Sold to Edward and Mark Marcisz.
1908 - The Edward E. Boynton House, 16 East Boulevard, Rochester NY. Photos by Hans Padelt. Sold to Jane Parker, Scott and Kathryn McDonald.
1908 - The Eugene A. Gilmore House, aka the Airplane House, 120 Ely Place, Madison WI. Sold to the Weiss family. Sold to Annette Beyer-Mears. Photo by Peter Beers.
1908 - The Meyer May House,
450 Madison Ave. SE, Grand Rapids MI.
1908 - The Isabel Roberts House,603 Edgewood Place, River Forest IL. Roberts was an architect who worked for Wright, one of the very few female architects in the country at the time an principal architect for this, her house. Sold in 1923. Sold to Warren and Ruth Terry Scott. Remodeled in 1955. Sold in 1998 to the William and Carol Pollack Trust. Sold in 2000 to Lorrie Dupont and Thomas N. Peterson. Sold in 2001 to FLW Building Conservancy. Sold in 2009 to Thomas N. Peterson. Sold in 2012 to Thomas N. Peterson Trust.
1908 - The George C. Stockman House, 530 First Street, Mason City IA. Open for public tours.
1908 - The Walter V. Davidson House, 57 Tillinghast Place, Buffalo NY. Sold to Davidson House LLC.
1909 - The Laura Gale House, aka the Mrs. Thomas H. Gale House, 6 Elizabeth Court, Oak Park IL. Sold to Rachel Drake.
1909 - The Adolph Mueller house, 4 Millikin Place, Decatur IL. He was the brother of Robert Mueller. The project architect was Marian Mahoney. Landscape architect wasWalter Burley Griffin. Sold to Robert and Sabrina Hund.
1910 - The J. H. Amberg House, 505 College Avenue SE, Grand Rapids MI. Commissioned 1909. According to Peter Beers, this house has only a tenuous connection to Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright received the commission to design the Amberg house from the parents of Sophie May (wife of Meyer May) in 1909. Later that year he left for Europe with Mamah Cheney and didn't return for two years. All of his commissions and work were left to architects working in his office, most likely for this house Marion Mahoney. Owned by Tom and Anne Logan since at least 2008.
1910 - The Harold McCormick Summer House, aka Villa Turicum, Lake Forest IL. 260 acres on Lake Michigan. McCormick hired Wright but Wright was fired when McCormick's wife, Edith Rockefeller McCormick (John D. Rockefellers daughter) hired architect Charles Platt to create an Italianate villa (bottom photo).
1910 - The Ingwald Moe House, 669 Van Buren, Gary IN. Commissioned 1909. In 1916, Moe became the unique local representative for the American System-Built scheme of housing, a Wright and Richards Company venture. Wright was out of the country, so Marian Mahoney did the design work. Maloney married landscape architect Walter Burley Griffin soon after this house was built. Sold to Carolyn and Mathew Murff.
1910 - The Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney Studio/Residence, Fiesole, Italy. Designed while living near Florence. Cheney was Wright's mistress at the time. The building was brought directly to the street edge permitting an enclosed and secluded garden within. Wright returned to America and it was unbuilt. In 1957 he proposed the same design for an American client living in Cuernavaca, Mexico, also unbuilt.
1911 - The Frank Lloyd Wright House, aka the Goethe Street House, Goethe Street, Chicago IL. Intended as Wright's home and office in Chicago. He had recently returned from Florence, Italy and his life was in turmoil from his affair with Mamah Cheney. In the center rises a tall loggia court, upon which all the other rooms open. Skylights atop the loggia fill the court with light. The cost of building the townhouse was not affordable. Unbuilt.
Wright's mother suggested he and his mistress Mamah Cheney take over her cottage in Spring Green WI, and he accepted the offer. This property became Taliesin, below.
1911 - Wright's own home and studio, aka Taliesin, aka Taliesin East, Spring Green WI. Open for tours May through October. All tours begin at the Visitor Center across from the estate at 5607 Country Road C, Spring Green WI.
1911 - The Oscar B. Balch House, 611 North Kenilworth, Oak Park IL. Owned as of 1999 by Timothy and Charlene Pearson.
1911 - The Sherman Booth Honeymoon Cottage, 239 Franklin Road, Glencoe IL. Booth, Wright's friend and attorney, lived here prior to Wright completing the Booth home at 265 Sylvan Road. Sold to an architect named Meyer. Owned by Doris E. Rudoff as of 1990.
1912 - The Avery Coonley House, 281 Bloomingbank Road, Riverside IL. Commissioned 1906. The plan was in a Chicago Architectural Club exhibition in 1907. Built of stucco and ornamental tile, Wright referred to this as his "best house" in one of his books. Sold to Arnold Skow who in 1950 divided the house severing the public space and the servants wing from the bedroom wing. The bedroom wing became 300 Scottswood Road, Riverside IL, bottom photo.
According to their son Jim Skow, the main house was sold in 1959 to Merrill and Jeanne Shepro. Sold around 1977 to Nick Salas after the death of Jeanne Shepro. There were many substandard fixes. Sold in 2000 to Dean and Ella Mae Eastman who did a restoration between 2000-2004. Both sections were for sale in 2015. The bedroom wing was sold in 2015 to John Fameda.
The coach house is now a separate residence with the address 336 Coonley Road.
The Gardener’s Cottage has always been a separate structure and was part of the 1906 commission.
The irregularly shaped lily pond designed by Wright was converted into a rectangular swimming pool. There was a fire caused by the pool heater around 1978 (second from bottom photo by Thomas Heinz) which did extensive roof damage.
The Coonleys gave Wright a separate commission in 1912 to design what is popularly known as the Playhouse for Queene Coonley’s preschool program. The Playhouse has long been used as a private residence.
The library, third photo, is displayed at The Allentown Art Museum, donated by Edgar Tafel, FLW Apprentice.
The hallway, fourth photo, is displayed at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.
The bedroom wing, which include several rooms, was purchased by Tom Monaghan, founder of Domino’s Pizza, and is reportedly in a warehouse in Ann Arbor MI. At the height of the '80s art boom, Monaghan amassed an ambitious collection of Wright furniture and artifacts that he displayed at the Michigan headquarters of Domino's Pizza; now closed.
1913 - The Harry S. Adams House, 710 Augusta Avenue, Oak Park IL. Photo by R. MvcNees.
1915 - The Emil Bach House, 7415 North Sheridan Road, Chicago IL. Sold in 1934 to Joseph Peacock. Sold in 1951 to Manuel Weiss. Sold in 1959 to Joseph Blinder. Sold in 1999. Sold to the Toulabi family. Sold in 2005 to Jane Elizabeth Feerer. Sold in 2009 to James Pritzker.
1915 - The William J. Vanderkloot House, aka the Ida and Grace McElwain Residence, 231 Prospect Avenue, Lake Bluff IL. Vanderkloot sold to the house's first residents, Ida and Grace McElwain. An American Built System home. As of 2012, owned by Edwin W. Still.
1915 - The Daniel and Lute Kissam House, aka the J. M. Compton House, 1023 Meadow Road, Glencoe IL. Part of the Ravine Bluffs Development.
Wright's first design for Booth's house, bottom photo, was never built. It involved a bridge over a revine, leading directly to the building itself. A two-story living room extends down into the ravine, and wings spread out from the central living room core to other levels.
1915 - The Wilbur Wynant House, 600 Fillmore Street, Gary IN. The house was not discovered to be by Frank Lloyd Wright until 1995. This is an American System-Built Home Model D-101 and is the only known Wright house of that type.
During the end of the house's lifespan it was in poor condition. The house was purchased by David Muhammad in 2003 who planned a restoration (see rendering, second photo). In 2006 a fire burned most of the house down. Rebuilding never happened and the house was destroyed around 2010.
1915 - The William F. Ross House, aka the Frank Finch House, 1027 Meadow Road, Glencoe IL. Part of the Ravine Bluffs Development. Sold to John Eifler, who did a renovation.
1915 - The Charles R. Perry House, 272 Sylvan Road, Glencoe IL. Part of the Ravine Bluffs Development. Sold. Sold to third owners Joan and James Higa. Sold in 2012 to Margreatha Hein. Photos by Larry Malvin.
1915 - The Charles Heisen House, 346 East Highland Avenue, Villa Park IL. An American Systems Built House. Sold to Jill and Christopher Quinn.
1915 - The Hollis R. Root House, aka the S. J. Gilfillan House, 1030 Meadow Road, Glencoe IL. Part of the Ravine Bluffs Development. Sold to Edward and Amrita Goldberg.
1915 - The H. Howard Hyde House, 10541 South Hoyne Avenue, Chicago IL. One of two models designed by Wright for a subdivision of prefabricated American-System Built Houses. Sold in 1999 to Martha and Joan Brennan. For sale 2015-2016.
1915 - The Arthur L. Richards Bungalow, 2700 Block of West Burnham Street, Milwaukee WI.
1915 - The Chester Bragg House, 6644 34th Street, Berwyn IL. An American System-Built House. Bragg was the ASBH dealer for this area.
1915 - The Arthur L. Richards House, 3424 Kenilworth, 6644 34th Street, Berwyn IL. An American System-Built House built by Chester Bragg.
1915 - The Arthur L. Richards House, 3519 Home, Berwyn IL. An American System-Built House built by Chester Bragg. Has been remodeled; the Wright-ness is about gone.
1916 - The Lewis E. Burleigh House, aka the J. J. O'Connor House, 330 Gregory Avenue, Wilmette IL. An American Systems Built House. Sold in 2004 to Bennet and Piedal Kaye.
1916 - The Thomas E. Sullivan House, 336 Gregory Avenue, Wilmette IL. An American Systems Built House. Next door to the Burleigh house, above.
1916 - The Joseph J. Bagley House, 47017 Lake View Avenue, Grand Beach MI. Photo by Rick McNees.
1916 - The Rudolph Weisenborn House. Designed by Rudolph Schindler while working for Wright. Unbuilt.
1916 - The Jerome Mendleson House, Thurlow Terrace. Unbuilt. Mendleson later chose architect Lewis Colt Albro.
1917 - 2106 East Newton Avenue, Milwaukee WI. Built by American System-Built Homes using Wright's plans without his knowledge. Wright didn't press the case in court, wanting to avoid publicity duing the aftermath of his affair with Mamah Cheney and her subsequent murder. Both had left their spouses and children in order to live together and were the subject of relentless public censure. Sold in 1994 to Pat Wisialowski. Only in 2015 was it confirmed as a Wright design.
1917 - The Delbert (Del) and Grace Meier House, 402 North Page, Monona IA. This is an American System Built house. A porch extension and a garage were added in the 1960s. Top two photos by Kay Komuro. Sold to Michael Schreiber and Jason Loper, who are doing renovations.
1917 - 2107 West Lawn Avenue, Madison WI. An American System-Built House. In the 1920's, a kitchen and two bedrooms were added. Sold in 1989 to Linda and Bill McQuillen. Only in 2015 was it confirmed as a Wright design.
1917 - The Oscar A. Johnson House, aka the Hanney House, 2614 Lincolnwood Drive, Evanston IL. Commissioned 1915. An example of the American System-Built scheme of construction, built by Hanney & Sons builders. Sold in 2008 to Stuart Wick and Suzanne Bost.
1917 - The Burhans-Ellinwood House, aka the Guy C. Smith House, 10410 South Hoyne Avenue, Chicago IL. A prefabricated American-System Built Houses. Sold to David and Debra Nemeth.
1918 - The Tazaemon Yamamura House, aka Hyogo-Ken, aka Yodoko Guest House, Ashiya, Japan. Open for tours on selected days.
1919 - The Workmen's Colony of Concrete Monolith Homes, Racine WI. Unbuilt.
1919 - The Mrs J. P. Shampay House, Beverly Hills IL. The client withdrew amid many personality and legal conflicts during the design stage. Model by Adrian Shih. Designed by Rudolph Schindler while working for Wright. Unbuilt.
1920 - The Aline Barnsdall House, aka the Hollyhock House, 4800 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. Commissioned 1917. A fiercely independent and wealthy feminist, bohemian, devotee and producer of experimental theatre, Barnsdall was a very public single mother at time when women were not publicly single mothers.
The house was donated to the City of Los Angeles in 1927. Renovated in 1947 by son Lloyd Wright, it became part of the Los Angeles Municipal Art Museum. Wright's son, Lloyd Wright, was commissioned in 1968 for a remodel of the gallery complex and fountain, unbuilt, but he was hired later for a successful 1974 renovation. First opened to the public as a house museum in 1976. Restored again 2011-2015.
1920 - The Aline Barnsdall House A, aka the Directors House, 4804 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. Designed by Rudolph Schindler while working for Wright. Commissioned 1919. Was later used as classroom space by the Los Angeles Parks and Rec Department. In poor condition.
1920 - The Aline Barnsdall House B, aka the Oleanders house, aka the Actors Abode, 645 North Vermont (at Hollywood Boulevard), Los Angeles CA. It was an apartment house for actors. Designed by Rudolph Schindler while working for Wright. Barnsdall hired Schindler to do renovations in 1928. Commissioned 1919. Destroyed in 1954.
1920 - The James B. Irving Cottage, 1320 Isabella Street, Wilmette IL. Recorded as a "temporary house" for Irving to live while his primary house, below, was constructed. Designed by Rudolf Schindler while working for Wright. Sold to Joe Catrambone in May 2012. He took the house apart and planned to move the house to his Wauconda lakefront property in 2013.
1920 - TheJames B. Irving House,
1318 Isabella Street, Wilmette IL.
1921 - The Baron Shimpei Goto House, Tokyo, Japan. This was a commission undertaken while Wright was at work on the Imperial Hotel. The house was to be large and spacious for a family of substantial means. Unbuilt.
1923 - The Dorothy Martin Foster House, Buffalo NY. Unbuilt. Dorothy Martin was the daughter of Darwin Martin, a Wright client.
1923 - The Edward L. Doheny Ranch Development in what is now Beverly Hills CA. 411 acres. Commissioned 1922. Unbuilt. Wright may have prepared his design in the hope of gaining Doheny's interest, rather than as a response to a proposal request. The land was later developed as Trousdale Estates.
1923 - The John B. Storer House, 8161 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles CA. Wright's son Lloyd Wright supervised construction and did the landscape design. Storer sold the house in 1927. Rudolf Schindler's wife, Pauline, rented the house briefly, and the home's fifth owners, Charles and Helen Druffel, were living here by 1935. For the Drufffels, Wright made some alterations to the house to block out the homes on the hillside towering above theirs.
Sold in the 1960's to Jerome Jacobi. In 1969 he commissioned Lloyd Wright for a remodel that was unbuilt. By the early 1980s, the house had seriously deteriorated and was on the market for three years. Sold in 1984 to producer Joel Silver who did an extensive restoration under the supervision of Wright's grandson, Eric Lloyd Wright, and Martin Eli Weil, past president of the Los Angeles Conservancy. Silver also restored the original landscaping and built a pool that had been planned but not yet built. Sold in 2002 to Richard P. and Jennifer Emerson. Deeded to their trust. Sold in 2015 to FLW LA LLC.
1924 - The Martin Sachse House, Deep Springs CA. Unbuilt.
1924 - House and Chapel, aka Desert Dwelling, for Albert M. Johnson, Grapevine
In 1940 the house was sold to media personality John Nesbitt. Nesbitt asked Lloyd Wright to design a remodel, but did not get built. Nesbitt then had it altered by Wright, bottom photo, adding a pool on the north terrace, a billiard room on the ground floor, and a heating system. Nesbitt moved out in 1942 to a house designed for him by Richard Neutra. The eighth owner was Augustus O. (Gus) Brown who bought it in 1968. In 1980 he donated the house to what became the Ennis House Foundation. Featured in House on Haunted Hill, The Replacements, Blade Runner and many other films.
Even before completion it had structural instability. More damage occurred due to the 1994 Northridge Earthquake and the record rain during 2004-2005. Basic shoring-up restoration work was completed in 2007 for $6.4 million. Sold in 2011 to Ron Burkle. As part of the transaction, Burkle will provide some form of public access to the house a minimum of 12 days per year. The easement stipulates this access for future owners of the home as well.
1924 - Desert Dwelling for Frank Lloyd Wright, Death Valley CA. Unbuilt. Assumed to have been done in conjunction with his design for the Albert M. Johnson compound. He might have planned the studio as a personal retreat to be located on part of Albert Johnson's ranch, but this is speculation. Wright labeled the major space a "cool patio"; octagonal in shape, it was to contain a circular pool at its center with an oculus in the ceiling above.
1927 - The Alexander Chandler Hotel, aka "San Marcos-In-the-Desert", near Chandler AZ. Not a house. Two homes were designed nearby, the Cudney House and the Young House, below.
1928 - aka Ocatillo, Frank Lloyd Wright's Desert Compound and Studio, Salt Range near Chandler AZ. Destroyed. This was FLW's base while he was working on "San-Marcos-in-the-Desert" for Alexander Chandler. Wright was spending so much time in the desert that he built a small very rustic compound which had drafting rooms, sleeping quarters, and a kitchen.
1928 - The Owen D. Young House, near Chandler AZ. Designed for one of Dr. Chandler's clients. This was another large-scale residence, and makes use of a most innovative variation on the regular grid system of the concrete blocks: they are turned on edge at 45 degrees. Many large rooms and ample guest facilities are provided for in this work, and the living room is treated like a solarium. The two homes as well as the hotel were designed for winter living only. The stock market crash of 1929 killed this project.
1928 - The Ralph and Wellington Cudney House, near Chandler AZ. Designed for two brothers, Dr. Chandler's clients. Designed on the 30-60 degree triangular motif. Everything conforms to this pattern of the triangle as an inherent design system of desert growth. It was to be a large house, with a two-story living room and wings extending out along an arroyo behind the house as an accommodation for guests. The stock market crash of 1929 killed this project.
1929 - St. Mark's Apartments for William Norman Guthrie, New York NY. Commissioned 1925. Although the project was unbuilt, its concepts were materialized thirty years later in Wright's Price Tower in Oklahoma.
1933 - The Malcolm E. Willey House,
255 Bedford Street, Minneapolis MN.
1935 - The Edgar J. Kaufmann House, aka Fallingwater, Highway 381, Mill Run PA. Fallingwater is Wright's most famous residence; in fact many believe it is America's most famous residence except for Biltmore in Asheville NC. He designed a guest house in 1938 and an addition to the guest house in 1948. In 1963 Edgar Kaufmann Jr. donated it to the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy who opened it for public tours in 1964.
In 2001, the Conservancy launched an $11.5 million restoration project for major structural repairs; restoration of its wood furniture, steel sash windows, and doors; waterproofing of its flat roofs and terraces; the construction of an on-site zero-discharge waste management system; and an ambitious landscaping plan to improve the visitor experience while protecting the Fallingwater property. The structural repair to Fallingwater's main level was completed in March 2002. Second photo by Christopher Little, others by George Smart taken in 2007.
1937 - The Herbert F. Johnson House, aka Wingspread, 33 East Four Mile Road, Wind Point WI near Racine. Donated by Johnson and his wife to The Johnson Foundation in 1959 as an international educational conference facility. Public tours available. Photo by Christopher Gideon.
1938 - The Albert R. Blackbourn House, aka the Life Magazine House. Wright's design was featured as one of "Eight Houses for Modern Living," published September 1938. Wright designed them a modern house; Royal Barry Wills designed them a more traditional house. Unbuilt.
307 East Spring Avenue, Ardmore PA. Sold in 2000 to Paul and Mia Bloomfield.
The design was commissioned by Otto Tod Mallery of the Tod Company in 1938 to increase single-family dwelling density in the suburbs. In cooperation with Wright, the Tod Company secured a patent intending to sell development rights for Suntops across the country. The first (and only one) of the four original quadruple units planned for Ardmore was built in 1939, with the involvement of Wright's master builder Harold Turner, after initial construction estimates far surpassed the project budget. The design was based upon a series of four individual Usonian dwellings arranged together around a central point, in a pinwheel plan. Wright arranged the four units asymmetrical on the lot so that no unit looked directly at another (or any existing neighbor), thereby maximizing privacy and shared green space at the same time.
The Beaufort County Open Land Trust facilitated a conservation easement and the complex remained in bad shape until 1987 when Hollywood produder Joel Silver bought it. In 1988 he started to restore and finish Auldbrass the way Wright and Stevens planned, consulting with FLW grandson Eric Lloyd Wright.
Auldbrass Plantation is open to the public only two days every two years. Guest houses designed by Wright and adapted by Hilton Head SC architect Tom Crews will be built at some point. NCMH toured the complex in 2011, again in 2013, and again in 2015.
1939 - The George D. and Selma Sturges House, 449 Skyeway Road, Los Angeles CA. The project architect was John Lautner. Sold in 1951 to Edward Scofield. Sold in 1962 to Elaine Pike. Sold in 1964 to Paul L. and Madeleine M. Garvin. Sold in 1967 to Jack Larson and Jim Bridges. B/W photo by Ezra Stoller/ESTO. For sale in 2016.
Around 1939 - The Martin Pence Project, Hilo HI. Unbuilt. Two drawings arrived in 1939, a plot plan showing the siting of house with entry road -- and a floor plan and exterior perspective looking up to the house over the pool. It was basically the Ralph Jester House plan except for the addition of a second bedroom in place of the Jester's outdoor breakfast area and the enlarging of the bathroom. The Pences loved the design, even with the novel circular beds and the compact kitchen. The estimate to build was $18,000.
Based on his income, the Pence's had calculated that they could not go higher than $12,000. Two months later Wright sent a second plan - a compact, two-story design using hexagonal spaces upon a hexagon module. The Pence's didn't like proposal even if it would meet their budget, which was doubtful. Martin Pences regretfully sent Mr. Wright a check for $250, the fee agreed upon, and the project ended. The Pences kept copies of the two house plans. They sold their lot and purchased an existing home two lots west.
1940 - The Gregor S. and Elizabeth B. Affleck House,1925 North Woodward Avenue, Bloomfield Hills, MI. Top two BW photos by Wayne Andrews/ESTO. In 1980, the Michigan Society of Architects named the house as one of Michigan's 50 most significant structures.
1940 - The Theodore Baird House, 38 Shays Street, Amherst MA. Photo by Wayne Andrews/ESTO. As of 2012, owned by Jean Hoffman.
1940 - The James B. Christie House, 190 Jockey Hollow Road, Bernardsville NJ. Sold and renovated in 1994, adding a master bedroom suite. Sold in 2009 to Michael P. and Louise A. McNally. Sold in 2015. For sale in 2016, still with the original Wright-designed furniture.
But this plan was not built. While preparing to build Eaglefeather Oboler decided first to build something smaller on that same property. He got Wright to design the gatehouse and retreat described above the year after Eaglefeather working drawings were finished. Both of those were built and the couple took up residence in them, with additions and extensions of the gatehouse until it became in its own right a major building. Eaglefeather was indefinitely postponed, the victim of delays and procrastination, until it was clear that Oboler had lost interest in it.
In 1955, the couple had Wright design another small house on the 120-acre property, where they lived until Arch Oboler's death in 1987. The land was sold and sub-divided shortly after.
1942 - Cloverleaf Quadruple Housing, Pittsfield MA. Unbuilt. Designed for the US Defense Housing Program on a 100-acre tract. Wright had built a quadruple housing scheme, Sun Top Homes, for Otto Mallery near Philadelphia. There were to be 25 Fourplex houses, home to 100 families. In order to meet the program's strict cost limit of $3,500 per dwelling unit ($14,000 per fourplex), the houses were planned to be made from standardized precast concrete elements. Each quadrant also incorporated a 16' x 36' courtyard along cross walls improving lighting and venting.
According to Wright, "A long distance call from housing administrator Clark Foreman in Washington, said, "I don't see your name anywhere on our roster. Why don't you contribute something?" I said I would. Finally, 100 houses in Pittsfield, MA were told off to me and after I visited the site, I went to work. When the plans were nearly finished, a telegram came telling me to stop. It seems Mr. Foreman had been superseded by another. But since the project was nearly completed, I was authorized to finish it. Sometime later word reached me that the local architects of Massachusetts had taken the matter up with their Congressman and that only local architects as provided for in a statute covering the matter would be allowed to handle the project. Although the government offered to buy what I had done, I declined to sell it because I would have no positive control over execution..."
1942 - Cooperative Farmsteads, Detroit MI. A group of auto workers, teachers, and other professionals in Detroit formed in the late thirties a cooperative organization for the purpose of buying land in the country and starting construction on a group of moderately priced houses. Eventually, they purchased a 160-acre farm and the group approached Wright who was interested in experimenting with rammed earth construction and this seemed like a good place to start. After earth walls were formed and a protective roof covering was begun, the Second World War intervened. Many of the home owners were drafted and the project stopped.
1944 - The Herbert I. Jacobs House II, aka the Solar Hemicycle House, Old Sauk Road, Middleton WI. Top photo by Middleton Bernard Pyron. Bottom photo by Ezra Stoller/ESTO.
1944 - The Gerald M. Loeb House, aka Tenaya, Lonetown Road, Redding CT. Unbuilt. Photos by Ezra Stoller/ESTO. Loeb was the founding partner of EF Hutton. Mrs. Loeb was against the house in the beginning since they had already spent a fortune remodelling a barn. Gerald Loeb also made the error of using a local contractor for a construction estimate. Wright was unhappy as that contractor, like most, had no experience in modern. After five or six years of decision delays and Wright never getting paid his full fee, the project was scrapped. Wright and Loeb managed to remain friends.
1945 - The V. C. Morris House,aka Sea Cliff, San Francisco, CA. Unbuilt. Located in the Sea Cliff area near the Golden Gate Bridge. Building of the Morris' Gift Shop on Maiden Lane, also by Wright, that caused constant delays. There was a second scheme done by Wright in 1955, rejected by the clients and also unbuilt. Ten years later they asked Wright to design a guest house on the same site. According to Frank Lloyd Wright: Principles and Form by Paul Laseau, this was also unbuilt.
1947 - The A. H. Bulbulian House,1229 Skyline Drive, Rochester MN. Sold in 2005 to Rachel S. Bulbulian. An article in Rochester Magazine says Blue Planet Museum Consulting did an extensive remodel over a seven year period.
1947 - The Vincent J. Scully, Jr. House, New Haven CT. Unbuilt. Wright's plan was too expensive, so he paid Wright's fee then designed his own glass-walled house in the woods.
1947 - The Paul V. Palmer House, Camelback Road, Phoenix AZ. Unbuilt. Based on the Ralph Jester house of five years earlier. The materials were to be cement plaster and cut stone. The entire house was to be set upon an earth platform. stThe Palmers asked for many substantial changes, and the project was abandoned altogether when it became obvious that no mutual agreement was possible between architect and client.
1948 - The Albert Adelman House,7111 North Barnett, Fox Point WI. B/W photos by Ezra Stoller/ESTO. Sold to Bertram Karpf. Sold in 1996 to Michael and Anna Brennan. Sold in 2002 to First American Title. Sold in 2004 to Eugene Cox.
1948 - The J. Willis Hughes House, aka Fountainhead, 306 Glen Way, Jackson MS. Sold in 1980 to architect Robert P. Adams who did a renovation. Top photo by Natalie Maynor. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1949 - The Goetsch-Winckler House #2, Okemos MI. Unbuilt. These clients wanted a larger home and the budget this time was considerably larger, as was the projected cost, which the client could not afford.
1949 - The Charles Weltzheimer House, aka the Weltzheimer/Johnson House,127 Woodhaven Drive, Oberlin OH. Commissioned 1947. Top photo by John McNally. The Weltzheimer family lived in the house until 1963 when the property was sold to developers and "remodeling" efforts scarred the space. However, in 1968, Art History Professor Ellen H. Johnson purchased it and began restoration. In 1992 at her death, the house was given to Oberlin College to serve as a guesthouse for the Art Department and the Allen Memorial Art Museum. As of 2012, open to the public for tours twice a month.
1949 - The Maynard P. and Katie Buehler House,6 Great Oak Circle, Orinda CA. Commissioned 1948. The grounds were designed by Henry Matsutani, who also designed the Japanese Gardens in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. Seriously damaged by fire in 1994 and rebuilt by Alward Constructionwith the guidance of the original Clerk of the Works,Walter Olds, who Wright assigned to the project in 1948. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. As of 2011, owned by Robert Rey, Trustee. Sold in December 2013 to Gerald Shmavonian.
1949 -- Senator George Griswold House, Greenwich CT. The various areas within the main space are larger and more elaborately planned than they would be for a house of more moderate cost, yet se still flows from area to area in human scale. The section taken through the living room and out onto the ocean-side terrace shows the scale and flow within the building. No reason given for not being built.
In 2009, their three granddaughters sold the house for $2.8 million to JT Morning Glory Enterprises LP, who intended to renovate and keep the house. The group's members included Jean Tichenor, Spencer Russell and Carolyn Russell who sold in early 2012 to developers 8081 Meridian Corporation, owned by Steve Sells and John Hoffman. While publicly promising the house would be preserved, Sells and Hoffman attained a demolition permit. The City of Phoenix revoked the demolition permit and considered landmark designation. Sold in October 2012 to Zachary (Zach) Rawling, aka David Wright House LLC, who is working to preserve the house as a museum and cultural center via a new non-profit, despite objections from local residents in the Arcadia neighborhood worried about overcrowding and noise. The bulk of the new construction will be an underground museum designed by former Wright student Wallace Cunningham and the non-profit will seek to recreate the original 1952 citrus grove setting as much as possible.
In 1991, the property was sold to Joseph Massaro. All that survived of the original larger Chahroudi house were five Wright drawings, including a floor plan with ideas for built-in and stand-alone furniture, a building section, and three elevations. Massaro got the original plans from Chahroudi's son. After rejecting Taliesin Architects because their fees were too high, Massaro hired Thomas A. Heinz, an architect and Wright historian, to complete the unfinished design. It was built between 2003 and 2007.
Occasionally open for tours by nonprofit groups. Photos from the LA Times. Was on the market in late 2010. Taliesin Architects does not certify this as a Wright house (as they were not in charge) but Massaro definitely considers it a Wright house.
1951 - The Stuart Richardson House, 63 Chestnut Hill Place, Glen Ridge NJ. Commissioned 1941. Composed entirely of hexagons. Sold in 1970 to a new owner. Restored 2006. As of 2009, owned by Edith Payne. For sale in 2016.
1952 - The John O. Carr House,1544 Portage Run, Glenview IL. Commissioned 1950. 1900 sf. 3 acres, with another 3 acre parcel adjacent. Sold in 1966 to architect Edward S. Busche. Busche added on 2000 sf in 1982. The completed addition appeared in a 1982 issue of House Beautiful magazine, shown above.
1952 - The Roland and Ronny Reisley House, aka Usonia, 44 Usonia Road, Pleasantville NY. The original house had one bedroom, a study, and kitchen with a total of 1,800 square feet. Wright returned five years later to design a 1,400 square foot addition. Commissioned 1951. As of 2003, occupied by the original owners.
1954 - The E. Clarke and Julia Arnold House,954 Dix Street, Columbus WI. All of the angles are either 60 degrees or 120 degrees forming equilateral parallelogram modules having 4' long sides. Wright approved a bedroom wing addition in 1959 and the plans were in preparation when he died in April that year. His apprentice John Howe drafted a second design which established the final Y-shaped plan.
1954 - The John J. and Syd Dobkins House,5120 Plain Center Avenue, Canton OH. Commissioned 1953. About 2,000 square feet. The house was purchased by Daniel and Diane Chrzanowski in 1997 after the death of the original owner. Photos by Scott Boultman and Adrienne Derosa.
1954 - The William Thaxton House, 12020 Tall Oaks Street, Houston TX. The original house was 1200 sf and was in major disrepair facing demolition when Alan and Betty Gaw purchased it in 1991. They added a 9100 sf structure around the original house designed by architect Bob Inaba of Kirksey-Meyers including another kitchen, living room, and bedrooms. For sale 2014-2015.
1955 - The William (Bill) B. and Elizabeth Tracy House, 18971 Edgecliff Drive Southwest, Normandy Park WA. Bottom two photos by Jack Logan. The house sits on a spectacular bluff overlooking the Puget Sound. After saving up to design a house, the Tracys hired Wright. They got one of his later Usonian Automatic concrete block houses. Bill Tracy fabricated the multitude of complex metal forms necessary, including all of the different wall, corner, roof, eave, jamb, and window blocks - both left and right hand. They then cast all of the concrete themselves in a vacant lot behind their apartment, and found a contractor (Brandes - who later built a Wright house himself) willing to take on the project. The innovative construction method, ahead of its time, is precedent for the insulated concrete forms now used in construction. Sold in 2012 to Charles Hoyng.
1955 - The Usonian Automatic, Gerald Sussman House, Rye NY. Unbuilt. As Wright's popularity grew, he could not handle the many calls for low or moderate budget custom-designed houses. As early as 1949 he began planning the Usonian Automatic, a tock plan. Concrete blocks form an outer shell and a second, more insulated wall later can be added. The ceiling was also composed of blocks set up on a wooden form, steel reinforcing rods tied into the blocks and then the whole poured in place. The result is a monolithic structure - fireproof and earthquake-proof. No color, painting, or surfacing would be required for the blocks; no maintenance or repainting would be necessary. Electrical and plumbing systems were to be modular and prefabricated.
1956 - The Harold C. Price Tower, 510 Dewey Avenue, Bartlesville OK. This 19 story, 221 foot multi-use skyscraper is one of only two of Wright high-rise designs that was completed. Harold C. Price asked Wright to design a building to house his company headquarters along with office space for lease, shops, and apartments. The H. C. Price Company was the primary tenant, and the remaining office floors and double height apartments intended as income-raising ventures. Architect Bruce Goff leased both an office and an apartment. Price sold the tower to Phillips Petroleum in 1981 and it was used only for storage when an exterior exit staircase was deemed unsafe. The building was donated to the Price Tower Arts Center in 2000 and it has been restored to its original multi-use origins, with art exhbitions, shopping, and high design hotel accommodations. In 2007 it was listed as a National Historic Landmark.
1956 - The Donald and Elizabeth Duncan House, Lisle IL.They bought their Wright prefab house after she read an article about the project in the December 1956 issue of House & Home magazine. After Mr. Duncan died at age 95 in 2002, the house fell derelict. It was dismantled in 2004, moved in four trailers to Acme PA, and eventually put back together, from thousands of numbered pieces, at Polymath Park Resort, a 125-acre tract in Acme PA owned by Tom Papinchak. The resort also includes two homes by Wright apprentice Peter Berndtson -- the Balter House and the Blum House, both built in the 1960s for Pittsburgh businessmen. Available for touring and overnight stay.
1956 - The Eugene Van Tamelen House, 5817 Anchorage Road, Madison WI. This was one of the Marshal Erdman Prefab houses. Sold to Roger Ganser.
Between 1964 and 1967, major renovations to the property were undertaken by Taliesin Associated Architects. It appears that architect John de Koven Hill designed the additions with assistance from architect William Wesley Peters (Wright's son-in-law). Gelbin acted as supervisor on the project and the contractor was Tom Riordan of Norwalk. New landscaping was designed by landscape architects Charles Middeleer and Frank Masao Okamura. They took much of the custom-built furnishings with them when they moved. In 1980, the property was sold to Ranko Santric. Sold in 1992 to Theodore (Ted) and Vada S. Stanley. The Stanleys completed an extensive restoration of the house and landscape through 1996. John de Koven Hill consulted on the project with interior designer Ronald Bricke and landscape architects Heritage Landscape. For sale in 2017.
1957 - The Arthur Miller and Marilyn Monroe House, Roxbury CT. Unbuilt. Actress Marilyn Monroe called Wright about building a house with Miller. An appointment was made and she came to Wright's Plaza apartment alone. The house that Wright designed for her was based on the Robert Windfohr design of 1949. Before work could be started on the house, Monroe separated from Miller.
1957 - The Walter Rudin House,110 Marinette Trail,Madison WI. Frank Lloyd Wright, after criticizing Marshall Erdman's "U-Form-It" prefabricated houses, designed several including this one. As of 2009 owned by Mary Rudin. Top photo by Peter Beers.
1957 - The James B. McBean House, 1532 Woodland Drive, Rochester MN. Frank Lloyd Wright, after criticizing Marshall Erdman's "U-Form-It" prefabricated houses, designed several including this one. Sold to Donald Feist.
1957 - The Sterling and Dorothy Ann Kinney House, 4281-4351 FM 1061 (Tascosa Road), Canadian River Breaks TX, near Amarillo. Bottom photo by Kenneth Jackson.
The home sat vacant until 1982. Sold to Henry R. Whiting II, great-nephew of Taliesin apprenticeAlden Dow. He started a massive restoration including fixing the roof, replacing 100 windows, restoring the exterior wood siding, and enlarging the kitchen and bathrooms. In the early 90's a bathroom required restoration after a fire. Unable to sell in 1992, he rented it to a sculptor, Lynn Fawcett, who in 1994 became his wife. Together they finished the restoration of the studio/residence and kept the house. Henry Whiting II wrote several books about restoring this house. Photos by Henry Whiting II.
1957 - The Carl E. Schultz House, 2704 Highland Court, St. Joseph MI.
Owned by the Mirror Lake Association. Available for overnight stay. Featured in the documentary Jewel of the Woods.
1958 - The Duey and Julia Wright House,904 Grand Avenue, Wausau WI. Commissioned 1957. These Wrights were no relation to FLW. Photos by MJ Hettinger. Sold to Esther Gillis.
1959 - The William P. Boswell House, 8805 Camargo Club Drive, Indian Hills area of Cincinnati OH. Commissioned 1957. 5400 sf. Boswell lived there about 50 years. In 2003, the house was renovated, the heating/cooling system was updated and wood surfaces refinished. When he died, his daughter, his executor, sold the home for $1M less than market value to keep it from being demolished. Sold in 2008 to Sareh Inc.
1959 - The William and Catherine Cass House, aka the Crimson Beech,48 Manor Court, Staten Island NY. Commissioned 1956. One of Marshall Erdman's prefabricated houses. Sold to Jeanne and Frank Cretella.
1959 - The Helen Donahoe Triptych, Paradise Valley AZ. Unbuilt. This is the last drawing to bear Frank Lloyd Wright's signature. Donahoe wanted a winter home that would accommodate not only herself but also have provision for two complete additional dwellings for visiting family. After Wright died on April 9, Donohoe waited several months before paying for the preliminary drawings. After much pressure, she paid only a small percentage of what she owed.
1959 - The Luis and Ethel Marden House, aka Fontinalis,600 Chain Bridge Road, McLean VA. Commissioned 1952. Located on a cliff overlooking the Potomac. 2600 sf. In 1998, Luis Marden moved to a nursing home. The house was sold to 411 CBR LLC, controlled by James Kimsey (founder of AOL) in 2000 for $2.5 million and the condition that Ethel Marden could go on living there as long as she was able. Another condition was that the home could not be demolished or changed significantly on the outside. Ethel Marden moved to a retirement community in 2003. Kimsey did a careful restoration, finishing around 2006.
1959 - The Norman Lykes House, 6836 North 36th Street, Phoenix AZ. This was the last house Wright designed before his death. Sold in 1994 to Linda Melton. For sale in 2016.
1959 - Wright dies on April 9.
1960 - The Edward and Laura Jane LaFond House, 29710 Kipper Road, St. Joseph MN. Commissioned 1956. Sold in 2010 to the Myra L. Schrupp Revocable Trust.
1960 - The Paul C. Olfelt House, 2206 Parklands Lane, St. Louis Park MN. Commissioned 1958. It was completed by Taliesin architects after Wright's death in 1959. As of 2016, the Olfelts were still living in the house. For sale in 2016.
1961 - The George Ablin House, 4260 Country Club Drive, on a golf course in Bakersfield CA. Commissioned 1958. Six bedrooms. Has a trianglular pool. Included a priceless collection of Wright-designed furniture. The Ablins lived there for over 50 years. Sold in 2005 to Michael and Katheleen Glick.
1961 - The Randall (Buck) and Harriett D. Fawcett House, 21200 Center Avenue, Los Banos CA. Commissioned 1955. Fawcett met Wright while taking an architecture course. 80 acres. Fawcett died in 2006 and the house was on the market for years while the heirs tried to sell it. Kevin B. Wagner lived there as a caretaker for about two years. Sold in summer 2012. Restored 2012-2014 by architect Arthur Dyson with assistance from Eric Lloyd Wright and the original interior designer, Cornelia Brierly. The restoration won an Award of Excellence for Historic Restoration from AIA Sierra Valley.
1961 - The Socrates and Celeste Zaferiou House, 48 Clausland Mountain Road, Blauvelt NY. Commissioned 1956. A Marshall Erdman Prefab house. Sold for the first time in September 2014.
1963 - The Frank Bott House, 3640 NW Briarcliff, Kansas City MO. Commissioned 1959. Still owned by the Bott family as of 2010. The home was built on the side of a hill that overlooks the city with the living room cantilevered out over the bluff.
1962 - The Don McHenry House, 541 M Avenue, Boulder City NV. Wright did the initial design. Wright protege Harry Thompson (McHenry's brother-in-law) was hired after Wright's death to finish the house while making it smaller and more affordable to build. Built by McHenry. For sale in 2016.
1964 - The Conrad E. and Evelyn Gordon House, originally on the Williamette River near Wilsonville OR. Commissioned 1957. Moved to 869 West Main Street, SilvertonOR in 2002. Descendants of the Gordons sold the property in 2000. The new owners agreed to donate it to the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy if it was moved. Public tours are available. Status unknown.
1964 - The Theodore A. and Bette K. Pappas House, 865 Masonridge Road, St. Louis MO. Not 8654 as widely reported. Commissioned 1955. Four bedrooms. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 at only 15 years old. In 1985, Bette Pappas wrote a book about the house, No Passing Fancy. As of 2009 still in the Pappas family.
1974 - The Joe and Hilary Feldman House, 13 Mosswood Road, Berkeley CA. Built from plans of Wright's unbuilt 1939 Lewis N. Bell House in Los Angeles. Sold in 1980 to Jeanne Allen and Mark Grant. Deeded in 2010 to The Allen Trust.
1974 - The Arthur E. and Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer House, address unknown, Scottsdale AZ. Commissioned 1971. Based on the unbuilt Ralph Jester House in Palos Verdes CA. Built on Taliesin West property for one of the Taliesin architects.
1984 - The Klotsche-Soeiro House, aka the Pottery House, 1430 Hyde Park Road, Santa Fe NM. Based on an unbuilt 1926 Wright design in El Paso TX. Charles Klotsche, a real estate developer from Wisconsin, purchased the plans from Taliesin. Ray Valdez from Santa Fe was the contractor with construction supervised by Taliesin Architects. Built from adapted plans by Charles Montooth and Wesley Peters. Peters was Wright's structural engineer on both Fallingwater and the Guggenheim Museum. The Pottery House is the only adobe house designed by Wright. The original design was 2400sf; what got built was 5000sf. Sold to Andrea and Sancho Soeiro.
1987 - The West House,6121 Turkey Run Court, Manassas VA. Based on an unbuilt 1947 design for Vincent Scully in CT. Supervised by Taliesin Architects. Sold in 1992 to John N. and Marilyn Williams.
1996 - The Sandy Sims House, Kamuela HI. First designed in 1954 to be built in Pennsylvania, ground was broken for this house in 1992 and finished in 1996. It was originally intended by the owner to serve as a focus home for a project called the "Hawaii Collection", a compilation of Wright's unbuilt designs planned for construction on 450 acres about a mile down the road from the focus house. The collection idea did take root on Maui in 1989 with the construction of a clubhouse based on a composite of home designs by Wright (executed by the Taliesin Architects) and a license to build 30 of Wright's original designs. The collapse of the Japanese stock market in 1990 killed the project. John Rattenbury was supervising architect.
2002 - The John and Kay Berno House, 347 Amazon Avenue, Clifton OH. The Berno's bought their lot in 2000 with the dream of having a Frank Lloyd Wright house and approached Taliesin Architects for an unbuilt Wright design. Architect Bill Mims oversaw the project and Jack Brand, a contractor from Cincinnati, built it, making adjustments such as adding central air conditioning and a deeper foundation to ensure stability on the hillside lot.
2002 - The Bob and Deanna Wright House, Brown Canyon, Park City UT. 66 acres. Bob was a grandnephew of FLW and a fan of his work. The original plan was commissioned for a Michigan couple in 1956. The walls are made of foam block insulation filled with cement. The house was sold and isavailable to rent. Photos by TJ Leise.
2002 - The Gale House Clone, aka the Gale House Knockoff, 1025 North West Street, Wheaton IL. This is a good copy of Wright's Gale House. Obviously, not designed directly by Wright. Dols in 2015 to Gregory S. Beard.
2004 - The Wayne McBroom House, 329 Huck Finn Drive, Shenandoah Farms, Front Royal VA. John Rattenbury of Taliesin Architects was the supervising architect and Ivan Shongov was the project manager. Based on an unbuilt 1947 Wright design for Ruth Keith in 1947. According to McBroom, the original plan was "flipped" so that the house's split-level configuration would work better on the site. Bottom two photos by Wayne McBroom.
2007 - The Christopher Ljungkull and James Seidl Cottage, 14785 Ostlund Trail North, Marine On St Croix MN. Originally designed by Wright as guest house for Don and Virginia Lovness of Stillwater MN.
2008 - The Marc Coleman House, Greystones County, Wicklow, Ireland. Commissioned 2007. This is Europe's only Wright-designed house, originally commissioned in 1959 for Gilbert Wieland in Maryland but never built. Marc Coleman dealt with E. Thomas Casey, who had trained under Wright and went on to become a Dean at Taliesin West. When Casey passed away a year and a half before construction, fellow Taliesin architects Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer and Oscar Munoz took over the project, with help from Effi Casey, his widow and Wright expert. 3860 square feet, centered around a large living room. The architect of record is CMB Design Group with planning consultant Tom Creed Architect. The contractor was James N. Earls & Sons & Daughters Construction.
2013- The Sharp Family Visitor's Center, Florida Southern College, Lakeland FL. Wright did many of the original buildings on the campus. Over time, campus planners abandoned or diluted Wright's master plan. This new Visitor's Center was modified from one of Wright's unused 1939 designs for faculty housing.
2014 - The Hugh Petter House, Tyntesfield Springs, Wraxell, near Bristol, England, UK. Adaptation of the unbuilt 1947 O'Keeffe House. Petter negotiated for eight years with the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation to gain permission to build it. In late 2014 a city planning inspector blocked plans for the home submitted by Stephen Brooks Architects on grounds that it is not of “exceptional quality or of an innovative nature.”