JOSEPH L. EICHLER (1900-1974)
There are a lot of houses called "Eichlers" by realtors. Eichler officially only built houses in California and New York. Anything else is a copy; perhaps great workmanship, but still not the real thing. Therefore, any 20th century houses listed below outside of California and Chestnut Ridge NY cannot be considered true Eichlers.
The Bronx-born New York City native moved to the West Coast in 1940, where he worked as an executive in his family’s wholesale dairy business. In his mid-40s, he found himself in need of a new vocation when the dairy firm closed.
He rented Frank Lloyd Wright's Bazett House. Inspired, he became a residential real estate developer known for building homes in the Modernist style. Between 1950 and 1974, he built over 11,000 homes in California (and three in Chestnut Ridge NY) which became known as "Eichlers" when he became one of the nation's most influential builders.
Unlike many developers, Joseph Eichler was a social visionary and commissioned designs primarily for middle-class Americans. One of his goals was building inclusive and diverse planned communities, ideally featuring integrated parks and community centers. He established a non-discrimination policy and offered homes for sale to anyone of any religion or race. In 1958, he resigned from the National Association of Home Builders when they refused to support a non-discrimination policy.
Eichler homes are a branch of Modernist architecture that has come to be known as "California Modern" and typically feature glass walls, post-and-beam construction and open floorplans.
Eichler used well-known architects. He hired Frank Lloyd Wright student Robert Anshen of Anshen & Allen to design the initialEichler homes built in 1949. Later, he hired Claude Oakland & Associates, A. Quincy Jones, and Raphael Soriano.
In 2014, developer Monique Lombardelli began construction on the first batch of Eichler houses in 40 years, starting in Las Vegas NV and Palm Springs CA.
1968 - The George F. and Cornelia V. Kennedy House, 6801 Justice Drive, Raleigh. Sold in 1970 to Westinghouse Electric Corporation. Sold in 1971 to Bruce C. and Janet Wells. Sold in 1974 to Albert H. and Linda P. Maxwell Jr. Deeded in 2000 to Albert H. Maxwell Jr. Sold in 2005 to Megan and Lee Tripi. Interior photos by Lee Tripi. Sold in 2015 to Heather Ann King and Brett Laughlin Bak.
1973 - The Jerry L. and Myrtle K. Mangum House, 2104 Jarman Drive, Raleigh. Still owned by the Mangums as of 2014.
Sources include: Lee Tripi, Jay Smith, Monique Lombardelli.