JIM AND JOHN WEBB
Jim Webb went to Pomona College then received a BA in architecture from the University of California Berkeley in 1937. In the Army, he got TB and spent time in an Army hospital in Colorado. Then he got a MA in City Planning from MIT in 1946. For a time, he worked for architect William Wurster in California. Wurster created the "Bay Area Style," an informal modem style of California Ranch that adapted to hilly sites by means of raised basements, with porches, patios, balconies and carports extending the living space out into nature. The post and beam frameworks eliminated the need for loadbearing interior retaining walls making interiors that had flowing spaces and high ceilings.
Jim Webb left California to join the UNC-Chapel Hill's new City and Regional Planning School in 1947. He remained on the faculty for 30 years. Webb practiced in Chapel Hill with his brother John until John returned to Berkeley. Jim Webb started the firm City Planning and Architecture Associates (CPAA) in the late 1950s, recruiting Don Stewart as a partner. Webb left CPAA in the mid-1970s to practice on his own where he continued until his death.
Significant clusters of Jim and John Webb houses were built in Chapel Hill including Whitehead Circle and Highland Woods. 1995 article * Highland Woods Neighborhood History * 2004 Highland Woods Neighborhood. Jim Webb was also involved with site planning for Research Triangle Park, Forest Hills Shopping Center, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Appalachian State University. Barbara Henderson Kelly, with three young sons from a previous marriage, married Jim Webb in 1957 and they divorced in the 1970s. Jim did not remarry. Barbara Kelly died in 2002.
JOHN BRUCE WEBB (1910-1997)
John Webb was a brilliant designer. Like his brother, he attended the University of California at Berkeley. He met Dorothy Davies (pictured left with Webb and her daughter at their wedding) in Detroit in the early 1950s when they both worked as architects for Albert Kahn. After marrying around 1954, they moved to North Carolina for John to practice with Jim. Later, they moved back to Berkeley and she went to design school at UC-Berkeley. She taught at the California School of Fine Arts and the Rudolph Schaffer School of Design, where she recalls Frank Lloyd Wright coming to the school to play the piano. He then worked for John Carl Warnecke. Dorothy and John divorced, and John moved to Warnecke's office in Washington. While there, he was the project architect for President John F. Kennedy's gravesite. By the late 1960s, John met a younger man (pictured with Webb, lower left) that would become his life partner. He put this young man through school and they were together until Webb died.
The JFK Gravesite in Washington DC. Webb would later reunite with Dorothy professionally. By the early 1970s she had remarried to the internationally known architect Felix Candela. John came out of retirement to work with them for many years living all over the world, including Athens, Paris, London, and Saudi Arabia, until his second retirement to the family home in Berkeley.
1948 - The Thomas M. and Margaret Lide Stanback House, 531 Dogwood Drive, Chapel Hill NC. According to Dail Dixon, Jim Webb was the designer in collaboration with Larry Enersen. Sold in 1956 to Walter and Jennie Lu Hollander. Sold in 2006 to Richard Anthony (Tony) Hall. Sold in 2018 to Brett B. Bohnn and William L. Green. Renovations by Dixon Weinstein Architects.
1948 - The Maurice Newton House, 814 Old Mill Road, Chapel Hill NC. Traditional design. Newton lived there and loved it for almost 50 years. Sold in 1997 to Margaret W. and Thomas Benson Mitchell. Sold in 2013 to Aimee E. and David A. Margolis.
1949 - The Walter and Jean Johnson Spearman House, 418 Whitehead Circle, Chapel Hill NC. 1.7 acres. Sold in 1992 to William Neville and Elizabeth Haskin. Haskin added custom cabinets in the kitchen. Sold in 2015 to Kelly Clark and John A. Northen.
1950 - The Wynn-MacIntyre House, 900 Stagecoach Road, Chapel Hill NC. Built for Earl and Rhoda Wynn. Sold in 1956 to Alan B. and Marguerite G. MacIntyre. Deeded in 2011 to Lynn MacIntyre. Deeded in 2017 Margo Lassiter MacIntyre and Melanie MacIntyre.
1950 - The Phillip and Lucille Handler Residence, 2529 Perkins Road, Durham NC. Sold to John P. and Barbara Boineau in 1970. Sold to Edward M. and Sylvia G. Arnett in 1980. Sold in 2001 to Edwin Iverson and Merlise Clyde who still owned it as of 2021.
1950 - The George Watts Hill, Jr. House, 1212 Hill Street, Durham NC. Sold in 1967 to Anton and Leopoldina Peterlin. 2474 square feet. The guest cottage was a demonstration house for General Electric, designed by students at the NCSU School of Design under George Matsumoto. The project was underwritten by the Hills and the house moved to the property in the late 1950s. The main house was renovated by Don Stewart in 1975 and again by Jim and John Webb in the late 1980s. Sold in 1978 to Joel C. and Christine J. Huber who still owned the property as of 2021. Bottom right blue photo by former Webb employee William Campbell.
1950 - The Walter Reece Berryhill and Norma C. Berryhill Residence, Upper Laurel Hill, Chapel Hill NC. He was first Dean of the School of Medicine at UNC-Chapel Hill. Status unknown.
1950 - The George Frederick and Elizabeth Ward Horner House, 7 Lone Pine Road, Chapel Hill NC. He was a professor of English at UNC-Chapel Hill. Sold in 1966 to Chester J. and Lucy L. Cavallito. Sold in 1970 to Barbara Roth. Sold in 1995 to Susan S. Moffatt.
1951 - The John P. Dalzell Residence. He was a Professor of Law at UNC-Chapel Hill and NC Central University. Status unknown.
1951 - The Allen T. Lockwood and Marjorie P. House, 57 Stuyvesant Road, Biltmore Forest, Asheville NC. Sold in 1996 to David A. and Janet M. Newman. Sold in 1997 to F. Jerry and Jane B. Grant. Sold in 2018 to John J. and Julie E. Bresnan.
1951 - The Marion E. and Reuben Hill House, 307 Briarbridge Valley Road, Chapel Hill NC. Commissioned 1950. Project architect, Mason Hicks. Sold in 1957 to Ione K. Shields. Sold in 1962 to Ione K. Shields White and Leonard White. Sold in 1967 to Magdalene and Helmut H.F. Lieth. Sold in 1978 to Alice A.B. and Axalla J. Hoole. Sold in 2015 to Anne D. and George B. Hoole.
1951 - The Joseph and Pearl P. Morrison House, 407 Whitehead Circle, Chapel Hill NC. The Morrisons lived there for well over 50 years. Sold in 2010 to Katie McKenna and Joshua Higgins.
1951 - The Corda and Walter Henry Hartung House, 413 Gooseneck Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1956 to Anna Wray Cotterill. Sold in 2004 to Michael and Marie White.
1951 - The Richard P. and Frances Abercrombie Calhoon Houses, 104 and 106 Pine Lane, Chapel Hill NC. The original house, 104, was a split level with a side-gable roof, concrete block lower level, wood shake walls on the upper level, and an entrance set in the middle level with tall transoms and an adjacent casement window with glazing below. At the left side was a screen porch. Ellington & Sparrow was the contractor. Jim Webb added a separate 2-story building at the left side in 1953, containing one room on each level and a screened porch elevated on metal posts. This building became 106 Pine Lane. These two houses were destroyed in December 2006 and replaced by two newer 4000 sf houses. Above photo is the new 104 Pine Lane, taken by Leilani Carter.
1952 - The Albert and Gladys Coates House, 508 Hooper Lane, Chapel Hill NC. He was the director of the Institute of Government and Professor of Law and UNC-Chapel Hill. Sold in 2003 to Gerald D., and Christine D., and Kathryn E. Bell.
1952 - The Kenneth and Frances Brinkhous Residence, 524 Dogwood Drive, Chapel Hill NC. About 7 acres. Commissioned in 1950. Brinkhous was the founder of the cure for hemophilia. There is a building named after him at UNC Chapel Hill. Sold in 2003 to David B. Thomas, a pathologist that studied under Dr. Brinkhous and was a personal friend of Jim Webb. 8.1 acres. Landscape design by Lewis Clarke. Second photo by Dail Dixon. Bottom two photos by Kyle Ketchel. The house was vacant and on and off the market from 2006 to 2012. Sold in 2012 to Julie and Sean Siler.
1952 - The Leslie Ralph and Lessie Mallard Casey Residence, 37 Oakwood Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Ralph Casey was a swim coach at UNC-Chapel Hill. Sold in 1955 to Anthony and Myrtle Lee Jenzano. Tony Jenzano, who created a celestial navigation program at UNC-Chapel Hill's Morehead Planetarium, befriended many astronauts, including Neil Armstrong. According to the listing agent in 2013, Armstrong was a guest in the Jenzano home when he visited Chapel Hill. Sold in 2013 to Shayne and Michelle Fenton, who completed a renovation. Sold later in 2013 to Melvin Ernest Manuel, III.
1952 - The Elisha P. and Adair H. Douglass House, 417 Whitehead Circle, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1954 to Ernest and Hazel Fischer Craige. Sold in 1985 to Mary Jane Rivers. Sold in 2004 to Jeffrey L. and Tabatha B. Garwin. Sold in 2005 to Ronald J. and Kathleen M. Milewski. Sold later in 2005 to E. D. Concepts. Sold in 2014 to Robert D. Fama.
1952 - The Louis L. and Thelma Thurstone House, 400 Laurel Hill Road, Chapel Hill NC. L-shaped house. They were both professors at UNC and held some classes in the living room. A two-car carport is connected by a screen porch. Sold in 1980 to Clarence E. and Jane P. Whitefield. Sold in 2000 to Phillip J. and Susan L. Lyons. Sold in 2016 to Michele K. Burris. Photos by Dave Potter.
1952 - The Lowell and Fern Ashby Residence, 902 Stagecoach Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1965 to Albert and Kate Pollard. Sold in 1969 to Jean Grote Yates. Sold in 1974 to Roberta S. Brown. Sold in 1980 to Jonathan P. and Ada Sher. Sold in 1984 to Peter and Carolyn Curtis. Lucy Carol Davis designed a foyer/bedroom/bath in 1991 in the same style as Webb. Sold in 1998 to Barry Howard and Keith Poteat. Sold in 2016 to Thomas Chambers and Rosanna Sutherland. Color photo by Dail Dixon.
1952 - The William and Julia Ivey Residence, 711 Greenwood Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold to Barbara H. Cryer. Renovated by architect Gary Giles in the early 1970s. Sold in 1998 to James and Debra Cryer who still owned it as of 2012. Addition in 2009 designed by the Cryers, built by Mike Morrison. Color photo by Dail Dixon.
1953 - The Norman Ellsworth and Dorothy Haskins Eliason House, 103 Roundhill Road, Chapel Hill NC. A ranch with side-gable roof, vertical wood siding, metal vertical casement windows, a rear chimney, and a large rear patio. About 1968, Webb enclosed the original screen porch at the right as a dining room and added a carport. The house faces to the rear, with a deck overlooking the rear yard. Sold in 1979 to Ralph and Mary Jane Penniall. At the left end is a 2- bedroom addition made by Webb for the Pennialls about 1989. Deeded in 2010 to Mary Jane (Penniall) Dale's heirs. Sold in 2015 to Rebecca Fox and Leon Scroggins, III. Photos by Dave Potter.
1953 - The E. Charles and Rita Beck Kunkle Residence, 2525 Perkins Road, Durham NC. Jim Webb also designed an addition in the late 1950s. Sold in 1963 to Jacob Joseph and Rita Beck Blum. Sold in 2015 to sold to Stephen and Katrina Dooda. The Doodas added on a garage and walk-in closet addition designed by Ellen Cassilly in 2007.
1953 - The Ruth Price House, 4 Briar Bridge Lane, Chapel Hill NC. Jim Webb designed this for Price but bought it in 1979 and lived there until his death, when it was deeded to his estate, a philanthropy set up to support the UNC Planning School. The estate allowed Webb's stepson Archie to live there until his death. Sold in 2016 to Lisa Rahangdale and Brian Jensen.
1953 - The William and Ida Friday House, 412 Whitehead Circle, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1957 to JR and Elaine Hamrick. Sold in 1962 to Frank Decazenove. Sold in 2003 to Ellen S. Burgin and Peter B. Fair. Sold in 2006 to Matthew Maciejewski and Donna Cook. Top photo by Nicole Alvarez.
1953 - The Drew House, aka the Better Homes and Gardens House, 511 Transylvania Avenue, Raleigh NC. Country Club Hills developer Ed Richards encouraged builder Thomas Wilson to construct it as one of many BH&G houses nationwide (see article). Webb in this case modified the BH&G plan but was not the original architect. Sold to Newton Homes in late 1953. Sold in 1954 to Thomas Floyd Drew and Katherine Conn Drew. Sold in 1967 to Nan Russell Sanderson and Jesse O. Sanderson. Sold in 1985 to Salah and Amina Elmaghraby. Sold in 1994 to landscape architects Dennis and Sharon Bell Glazener. They added a pool and enclosed the carport to make an office. Sold in 2012 to Marjorie F. Smith, whose son did a renovation and reopened the carport. Last two photos by Leilani Carter.
1954 - The John M. and Lucille B. Fein House, 2742 Circle Drive, Durham NC. Sold in 1966 to Mark E. and Mary Louise C. Frankel. Sold in 1970 to Gert H. and Katherine C. Brieger. Sold in 1975 to Redford B. and Virginia Parrott Williams. Sold in 1984 to Elwood Albert Linney and Susan Diane Donerly. Sold in 1994 to Mark and Nancy Darling Handler.
1954 - The Thomas H. (Tom) and Anna Darden House, 124 Fern Lane, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1985 to John and Alice Cross. Renovations in 1990 by Don Stewart, which added a butterfly roof. Sold in 1999 to Malcolm and Jennie Kendall. Sold in 2004 to Burton and Kathleen (Kay) Goldstein. Sold in 2018 to James W. Thorburn. Renovations by Dixon Weinstein Architects. Sold in 2013 to Rawley H. Fuller IV. Sold in 2020 to Marla Anyomi and G.P. Evans. Bottom photo by Dail Dixon.
1954 - The Jerome E. and Henrietta A. Union House, 1610 Raeford Road, Fayetteville NC. Designed by Webb draftsman Mason Hicks and according to Dan MacMillan, John Webb. Deeded in 1983 to Bradley Union. Sold in 2006 to Antek F. Skoniecki. Has been remodeled.
1955 - The Margaret M. and Jack P. Henderson House, 621 Greenwood Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1959 to William H. and Marian K. Poteat. Gifted in 1980 to Marian Kelly Poteat. Sold in 1987 to Martha S. and Richard A. Beutel. Sold in 1989 to Georgia Y. and Philip F. Nelson who did a renovation. Sold in 2018 to Raisa Feisal El-Kurdi.
1955 - The Louis and Mary Welt Residence, 614 Morgan Creek Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1972 to Richard and Mayhew Bear. Sold to Marguerite I. Most in 1985. Sold in 1999 to landscape architect Laura Moore and her husband Robert Moore who still owned it as of 2012. Photos by Laura Moore.
1955 - The George and Alice Welsh Residence, 377 Tenney Circle, Chapel Hill NC. Designed by Jim Webb in association with California modernist architect Cliff May. Sold to David and Margaret Brunn in 1971. Sold to Richard Drake Lamberton in 1984. Sold in 1991 to Susan Gravely and Bill Ross who still owned it as of 2012. 5100 square feet. Renovated by Jon Condoret and contractor Stan Stutts.
1955 - The Jack Guyes and Catherine Murtha Robbins House, 1207 Woodburn Road, Durham NC. Architect unknown. Features a bomb shelter. According to their children, Stephen Robbins and Sharon Robbins Atkinson, it was built by Tom Wilkerson. Sold in 1964 to Ray E. and Mary W. Brown. Sold in 1968 to Ronald F. and Judith P. Bradshaw. Sold in 2015 to James T. Riley. Sold later in 2015 to Kevin W. Kearns. Sold in 2018 to Seth Doughton and Asia Rose Rumsey. 2020 renovation planned by architect Ellen Cassilly.
Although advertised in 2017 as Webb's work, that was a guess by the real estate agent based on features similar to other Webb designs. The house is not in Webb's project list. Needs verification.
1955 - The Thomas A. and Mildred McClees House, 5237 Beauvue Road, Elm City NC. Deeded in 2016 to their daughter, Kim Taylor McClees.
1955 - The Harold Joseph and Sheila Ivlar Harris House, 1009 Highland Woods, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1967 to Robert Leo and Sally Sanford Ney. Sold in 1982 to Joseph P. and Mary S. Matthews. Sold in 1987 to Walter H. and Sue T. Schwartz. Sold in 1994 to Kathleen L. and Judith A. McDivitt. Sold in 1999 to Robert B. and Melissa C. Porter. Sold in 2017 to Akram Khaksari. Destroyed.
1956 - The Christine and Robert Dickens House, 2717 Circle Drive, Durham NC. Commissioned 1956. Designed with Don Stewart. Sold in 1997 to Nancy Austin. Sold in 2003 to David and Jennifer Martin Mitchell. Sold in 2014 to Karen A. and Christopher M. Carmody.
1956 - The Paul and Bettie Bissette House, 1000 Salem Street, Wilson NC. Photo by Dana Knight.
1957 - The Philip H. and Florence S. Sanders Addition, 32 Mount Bolus Road, Chapel Hill NC. Original house built in 1952. Additions and renovations begun by Webb in 1957. The Sanders moved into their home in 1963. Sold in 1970 to Carl H. and Eleanor S. Pegg. Sold in 1989 to Robert G. and Patricia R. Byrd. Sold in 2011 to David Matesanz and Matthew Siedoff. Sold in 2014 to Deanna I. Moore.
1957 - The Robert and Josephine (Josie) Stipe House, 1022 Highland Woods, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1972 to Charles Swisher. Sold in 1975 to Nortin M. and Carol Hadler who still owned it as of 2015. Renovations and additions by Dixon Weinstein Architects. For sale in 2016.
1957 - The Douglas and Jane H. Humm Residence, 1439 Smith Level Road, Chapel Hill NC. 14 acres, 5000 sf. Has a darkroom and a shop area downstairs in addition to a large multipurpose room. Was occupied for several years by their son Alan Humm and his wife Jean Humm. Sold in 2015 to Marie E. Rossetti and Benjamin J. Warshaw. Photos by Leilani Carter.
1957 - The Kai and Mary Jo Jurgensen House, 410 Whitehead Circle, Chapel Hill NC. Commissioned 1956. The project architect was Don Stewart. Won an AIANC Award in 1957. Sold in 1968 to Alden Escott and Ora Jane Lind. Sold in 1975 to David H. and Marjorie B. Walker. Sold in 1987 to Dinitia Hutcheson. Sold in 2000 to Jeffrey Tucker. Bell Cline Architects did a renovation in 2001. Sold in 2001 to James A. and Paula J. Wald. Sold in 2009 to James Kniveton Bartram and Jane Bailey. Renovated in 2013 by Aggie Crews. Sold in 2018 to Sarah Cohen and Graham Diering. Bottom photos by Alison Steele.
1957 - The Donald R. and Margie R. Matthews Residence, 421 Brookside Drive, Chapel Hill NC. 2250 square feet. 1.33 acres. Sold in 1961 to Harold R. and Anne E. Hall. Sold to Rudolf and Ruth Koster in 1989. Renovation in 1990s. Sold in 1997 to Mark and Lorea Civiok. Sold in 2010 to Andrea and Nicholas Verykoukis.
1957 - The Jud and Persis Van Wyk House, 1020 Highland Woods, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 2004 to Lex and Ann Alexander. Renovated in 2005 by designer John Lindsey, built by Actual Size Builders, extending the rear out seven feet among other improvements. Sold in 2018 to Teresa and Harvey Moore.
1957 - The Robert and Elizabeth Sager House, aka the Sager/Parker House, 1010 Highland Woods, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1967 to John and Peg Parker. Sold in 2012 to Joseph James Clancy, Jr. 2018 renovations by Arielle Schechter. Bottom photo by Dail Dixon.
1957 - The J. Alex and Betty McMahon House, 419 Whitehead Circle, Chapel Hill NC. 1850 square feet. Sold in 1961 to William A. Olsen, Jr. Sold in 1964 to Virginia Viser Spence. Sold in 1973 to Robert and Elena Watson. Sold in 1988 to William and Nancy Hooke. Sold in 1992 to Richard and Mildred Robinson. Sold in 1999 to Aravinda DeSilva and Amy Brett Weil. Sold in 2009 to Thomas W. Mansfield and Catherine Suffredini. Remodeling by Scott McLean Builders. Sold in 2012 to Anna and Alfred Kang.
1957 - The Frederick (Fred) and Josephine Weedon House, 100 Pine Lane, Chapel Hill NC. Commissioned 1956. There was a darkroom downstairs. Ellington & Sparrow was the contractor. The Weedons' daughter, Josie Weedon Stipe, was deeded the house in 1972. Features the GE Wonder Kitchen, see photo, still intact. A deck and rear bedroom balcony was added in 1981. Sold in 2016 to Leigh and Daniel Copeland.
1957 - The Henry S. and Gertrude Mitchell Willis Residence I, 357 Tenney Circle, Chapel Hill NC. 2058 square feet, 3 bedrooms and 2-1/2 bathrooms. Sold in 1980 to Everett K. and Elizabeth Owen Wilson. Sold in 2003 to Nancy Hansen. Sold in 2009 to Frank Baumgartner. Sold in 2012 to Robert Pungello, Jr. Sold in 2017 to Julia O. and Lowell T. Lunsford II.
1957 - The Henry S. and Gertrude Mitchell Willis Residence II, 355 Tenney Circle, Chapel Hill NC. 1508 square feet, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Sold in 1960 to Gertrude's mother Charlotte B. Mitchell. Sold in 1974 back to Henry S. and Gertrude Mitchell Willis, presumably when Charlotte died. Sold in 1984 to Everett K. and Elizabeth Owen Wilson. Sold in 1993 to Leslie Jarrett Lawler. Sold in 2007 to Nancy Hansen. Sold in 2009 to Frank Baumgartner. Sold in 2012 to Robert Pungello, Jr. Sold in 2017 to Casanda C. and David D. Dahl.
1957 - The Andrew M. and Anne F. Scott House, 1028 Highland Woods Road, Chapel Hill NC. Built by Robert E. (Bob) and Mary Ellen (Molly) Agger. Sold in 1958 to Andrew M. and Anne F. Scott. Sold in 2006 to Gunilla Luboff. Sold in 2014 to Susannah M. and Timothy J. Shearer.
1957 - The Harvey L. and Lillian K. Smith House, 428 Whitehead, Chapel Hill NC. Deeded to Lillian Smith. Deeded to Robert Smith. Sold in 2012 to Jane Bailey and James K. Bartram. Sold in 2017 to Stephen Whitlow, Jr. and Mychal Weinert.
1958 - The John and Ruth Schwab House, 1030 Highland Woods Road, Chapel Hill NC. Don Stewart was the primary architect. Stewart did additions in 1965 and again in 1979. Sold in 2007 to Kristen Huff and Daniel Delaney. Sold in 2009 to Richard Harrill and Katherine Jamieson.
1958 - The Donald Hayman House, 1038 Highland Woods Drive, Chapel Hill NC. 2075 square feet. As of 2011 still owned by Hayman.
1958 - The Paul H. and Mary Kestler Clyde Residence, 1211 Woodburn Road, Durham NC. 1806 square feet. Sold in 1968 to Nicholas and Carol Gillham. The addition was designed by Donald Stewart. Sold in 2002 to Richard and Meredith Brunel. Sold in 2007 to Jeffrey Smith and Gregory Orlando. Photos by Meredith Brunel.
1959 - The Harry R. and Lucinda Lee Bixler Residence, 1111 Sourwood Circle, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1984 to Ronald Batson. Sold in 1993 to David Honigmann and Betty Maultsby. Sold in 2015 to Eizabeth B. Barber and Daniel L. Spiegel. Photos by George Smart.
1960 - The E. K. Powe, Jr. House, 81 Beverly Drive, Durham NC. Sold in 1977 to Oliver and Judith Charlton. Sold in 1980 to Duncan and Sandra Yaggy. Sold in 1985 to Michael Allen Gillespie and Nancy S. Henley who still owned it as of 2012. Photo by George Smart.
1960 - The John Lassiter and Ann Beal Sanders House, 1107 Sourwood Circle, Chapel Hill NC. 2761 sf. Don Stewart was the project architect. Sold in 2006 to Larry and Kathy Sauls; they added a new kitchen. Photos by Duffy Healey.
1960 - The Bill and Lois Terrill Residence, 1027 Highland Woods Road, Chapel Hill NC. 2160 square feet. Sold in 1989 to William Jackson Stewart. Sold in 2001 to Joy Javits Stewart. Sold in 2008 to Rainer Blaesius and Elisabeth (Lila) Schweins. Sold in 2020 to Alice Shahan and Brett White.
1961 - The Evelyn Lenore Anderson House, 46 Cedar Street, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1984 to William R. and Jane Matson. Sold in 2009 to Joel David Farren. Sold in 2017 to Kaywin Feldman and James Martin Lutz.
1962 - The John and Margaret Gulick House, 1029 Highland Woods Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1992 to Fred and Lawanda Hall who still owned it as of 2012. Renovations and additions by Dail Dixon when he was at Designworks in Carrboro. Bottom photo by Dail Dixon.
1964 - The Frank and Gertrude Strong Residence I, 211 Markham Drive, Chapel Hill NC. The Strongs soon moved to a larger house nearby and rented this one out for decades. Sold in 1992 to Caroline M. Sherman who still owned it as of 2012. A 2004 renovation by architect Jay Fulkerson replaced the flat roof but otherwise kept the spirit intact of Webb's original design. Photos by Jay Fulkerson.
1965 - The Frank R. and Gertrude Strong Residence II, 100 Tadley Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Their heirs, children John W. Strong and Mary Elizabeth Strong Brennan, rented it out from 1998 until 2004. According to Mary Brennan, Webb supervised the construction of this house but the design came from a plan book. Sold in 2004 to Patricia (Tricia) Mickelberry and Benjamin Clarke. Top photo by Nicole Alvarez.
1967 - The Ethel Redney Akin Residence, 414 Lyons, Chapel Hill NC. 1560 square feet. She was 76 at the time and died shortly after the house was built. Sold in 1970 to Donald Lewis Madison and Beverly Webster Madison. Sold in 1985 to Brian Whittier who still owned it as of 2012. Top photo by Nicole Alvarez; bottom photo by Lucy Pittman.
1967 - The Stanley J. and Marcia B. Weidenkopf House, 1403 Arboretum Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1988 to Dianne G. and John D. Shaw, III.
1967 - The Pearson and Jeannie Stewart House, 112 Glendale Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 2003 to Irene and Pape Gaye. Features an open kitchen/living room renovated by Sophie Piesse and built by Gaye and Kennedy Builders of Hillsborough. Sold in 2016 to Jon B. and Margaret M. Manlove. Photos by Seth Tice Lewis.
1968 - The H. N. and Madeline T. Patterson House, 709 Greenwood Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1984 to George F. and Ruth G. Sheldon. Sold in 2014 to Joel G. and Katherine E. Curran. Sold in 2018 to Jamie and Laurie Brooks.
1971 - 1427 Poinsett Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 2015 to Erica M. and Christopher Martin. Sold in 2019 to Charliss F and Tyler T. Denniston.
1972 - The Leonard Sidney and Irene Rosenfeld House, 1309 Arboretum Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Additions completed in 1988 and 1989. Sold in 2010 to Peter and Sharon Higgins.
1976 - The Floyd Fried House, 416 Whitehead Circle, Chapel Hill NC. 3178 square feet on 2 acres. Built by J. P. Goforth of Security Building Company. Last two photos by John Goddin. Sold in 2008 to Richard and Kelly Darling. Kitchen and master bath renovated in 2010. New HVAC system in 2011. Sold in 2013 to Heather R. and Jason L. Ross.
1977 - The Mary and Charles R. Morris House, 920 Kings Mill Road, Chapel Hill NC. Deeded in 2014 to Mary Morris. Sold by heirs in 2017 to Mirjana Stankovikj and Bratislav Stankovic. Deeded later in 2017 to Mirjana.
1981 - The Carl R. and Frances Brewer House, 623 Arlington Street, Chapel Hill NC. Deeded in 2001 to Frances Brewer. Deeded in 2007 to Janet Brewer. Ellen Cassilly did an addition around 2009. Sold in 2018 to Carie A. and Devlin R. Hudson.
1982 - The Charles and Dorcas M. Jones Addition, 709 Williams Circle, Chapel Hill NC. Original house built in 1957. Additions completed in 1982, 1988, and 2013. Deeded in 2005 to Bettie R. Bradford. Sold in 2018 to William Williams and Jill Moffett.
1988 - The Bernard D. and Louise Rhein House, 113 Rhododendron Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 2004 to Lolette S. and Paul N. Guthrie, Jr. Sold in 2019 to Charliss F. and Tyler T. Denniston.
Sources include: Jim Webb Obituary; The James Webb Papers at North Carolina State University's Special Collections Research Center; Dail Dixon; Stephen Dooda; John Schwab; The Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina 1795-1975 by M. Ruth Little; A Guide for Chapel Hill Durham and Raleigh: 1956 AIA Regional Conference; Town of Chapel Hill; Dorothy Webb Candela; Mary Whittier; Nancy and Lars Hansen; Alan Humm; Leilani Carter; and James Cryer. Many thanks to Bob Epting and the Estate of Jim Webb.