||A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
HENRY CLYDE (HANK) MCDONALD, JR., AIA (1927-2003)
McDonald grew up and lived most of his life in Transylvania County NC. He served in the Navy during World War II. He graduated from Brevard College and, in 1950, from Clemson in architecture. McDonald worked for Six Associates in Asheville before going on his own in 1953 with William H. O'Cain as O'Cain & McDonald. Later the firm was McDonald & Daniels, and by 1958 it was simply Henry Clyde McDonald. In 1967 he partnered with Samuel A. (Sam) Brewton. They focused on homes, churches, schools, and commercial buildings in the Lake Toxaway and Cashiers area plus nine buildings at Brevard College and more than 40 churches.
McDonald taught engineering at Brevard College and served as a visiting lecturer at Clemson University.
If you know of other Henry McDonald houses, please contact us.
1959 - The Gilbert F. and Dovie Coan House, 100 Turnpike Road, Brevard NC. Sold to David and Karen Cox.
1961 - The Gail Scott House, 262 Joree Lane (formerly 11 Joree Lane), Brevard NC. Guest house addition, 260 Joree Lane, built in 1970 for sister Lillian G. Scott. Deeded to Mary K. Scott and Lillian G. Scott. Sold in 1979 to Clarence and Mildred Knoche. Sold in 1989 to Robert W. and Jean F. Morgan. Deeded to Jean F. Morgan. Sold in 1992 to Steven E. and Mary Arnaudin.
1966 - 163 Lake Point Drive, Lake Toxaway, NC. Renovated and expanded in 1994 by architect Steve Arnaudin. Top three photos are pre-renovation; rest are post-renovation.
1966 - The Tom and Dolly Walker House, 1330 Fairway Drive, Lake Toxaway Estates, Lake Toxaway NC. Sold to Betsy and Jimmy Adams. For sale in 2017.
Year unknown - Bennett House on Caldwell Street in Brevard NC.
Sources include: Mack McDonald, Steve Arnaudin.