||A North Carolina 501C3 Educational Nonprofit Archive Documenting, Preserving, and Promoting Residential Modernist Architecture
Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited.
AUGUST LEWIS POLIER, AIA (1922-2000)
Polier graduated from Hugh Morson High School in 1939 and NCSU in 1949, with a stint in the Army during WWII. He first worked with Richard Rice and moved with him to Cooper, Haskins and Rice. In 1955, he worked for Jesse Page and became a partner when the firm was renamed Page, Polier, Flowers, Ballard & Branan in 1974. When Page left in 1976, Polier became a senior partner until his retirement in 1988. He was known for many buildings at NCSU and ECU, plus the Bath Building (North Carolina Labs) in downtown Raleigh.
He married Afton Daniels, pictured at left, his high school sweetheart, in 1942. During his student days at the NCSU School of Design, she worked to help pay his way. They both spent their entire marriage totally involved in the world of North Carolina architects and architecture.
From 1959 to 1977, with the assistance of Afton, he served as the Executive Secretary of the North Carolina Board of Architecture for almost 20 years. They raised four Raleigh-born daughters in a happy marriage until Afton’s death in 1973 from cancer.
1955 - The August Polier House, 111 Longview Lake Drive, Raleigh. Sold in 2004 to Adrianne Wilson. Sold in 2006 to Adrianne and Thomas Jorgenson. Sold in 2007 to architect Matthew Griffith and his wife Ashley, who renovated the interior.
1954 - The Charles Styron Residence, 920 Williamson Drive, Raleigh. Designed by Polier when he worked for Haskins and Rice. 4000 square feet on .72 acres. Three bedrooms, 4.5 baths. According to Kathleen Haskins Thompson, daughter of Al Haskins, original construction was finished October 20, 1954, the cost was $46,647 and the architect’s fee was 8 percent. Sold in 2004 to Bill and Nikki Mercer. Most photos are architect Dail Dixon's detailed and transformative 2005 renovation. Sold in 2015 to Kenneth L. Eudy Jr.
Polier may have designed the Norwood Smith house at 335 Golf Course Drive, Raleigh. Needs verification.
1954 - The John R. and Martha C. Adams Residence, 2336 New Bern Avenue, Raleigh. The Adams sold in 1963 to William and Dorothy Simonds. Sold in 1970 to John and Sheila Nader. Sold in 2007 to their daughter, Mary Nader, and her husband, architect Louis Gerics. Needs verification.