Enjoy browsing, but unless otherwise noted, these houses are private property
and closed to the public -- so don't go tromping around uninvited!

CTRL-F to Search Within Page


Scott was born in Charlotte NC. He attended Darlington Academy in Georgia and studied Engineering at Duke University. After serving in the Navy during WWII, he was in the first graduating class from Henry Kamphoefner's newly-formed NCSU School of Design.

After graduation, Scott taught at the school and worked for Milton Small. In 1958 he became a partner in Pruden and Scott with Jack Pruden. He assisted George Matsumoto with the Julian House in Chapel Hill. Later he practiced solo as Kenneth McCoy Scott AIA. Scott's office was at 213 1/2 Main Street in Durham.

According to son David, Scott as a student worked with Matthew Nowicki on drawings for Raleigh's Dorton Arena. He had three children with first wife Ruth and three with second wife Nancy. His first three children followed in his footsteps. Son David became an architect, daughter Lloyd went into Interior Design, and son Philip is a draftsman.

1952 - The Frank and Ellen Walser Residence, 1911 McDonald Lane (formerly Old Hillsboro Road), Raleigh. Sold in 1983 to Hester Gregory. Sold in 1986 to Nancy Faircloth. Sold in 2015 to Marilyn Dixon Blankinship. According to Bern Walser, Frank's son, Scott designed it in exchange for Frank Walser building Scott's house at 3126 Eton Road (below). Photo by Leilani Carter.

1953 - The Kenneth Scott House, 3126 Eton Road, Raleigh. Landscape architecture by Lewis Clarke. The Scotts divorced in 1963 and he sold his interest to ex-wife Ruth, who later married Raleigh architect Cecil Elliott. Sold to Linda Riddle Delarama in June 1963 and moved to Alabama. Sold to Janice Hayes Wynns in 1986. Sold to John and Erin Wallace in 1987. Sold in 1997 to Dennis Brown and Raquel Hernandez.

1955 - The Paul and Ellen Welles, Jr. House, 3227 Birnamwood Road, Raleigh. Sold in 1977 to Anne Dahle. Sold in 2016 to Ann Brow and Kenneth Kohagen.  Put on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. All photos except top by Leilani Carter.

1956 - The Albert and Dorothy Heyman House, 1216 Woodburn, Durham. Designed while working for Jack Pruden. Sold for the first time in 2012 to Donna Lazzari. Renovated by Eric Lazzari in 2013.

1958 - The John and Binford C. Carr Residence, 3400 Westover, Durham. Originally 2337 square feet. Scott was working on adding skylights just before he died in 1980. Black and white photos from the late 1950's by Walter Shackelford. Built by Frank Walser. Landscape architecture by Lewis Clarke. After Binford Carr died, it was sold in 2009 to Mark Hansen and Marie Grant Lukens.  An adjacent empty lot also belonging to Carr was sold half to Grant/Lukens and half to a neighbor.

There were renovations and an addition in 2012, designed by architect Kenneth Hobgood and built by Bayleaf Builders. By relocating a staircase in the middle of the house that once led to the basement, they made the kitchen larger. The addition includes a master bedroom suite, a guest room and another basement, as well as Mark Hansen’s 36-foot-long, 9-foot-wide office that is cantilevered off the addition’s northern elevation. Richard Kaydos-Daniels was the structural engineer. Photos by Ormando Harris and Scott Rieckmann.  Won a 2017 AIANC Merit Award.


1959 - The Sarah (Sallie) Foard Macnider House, 733 East Franklin Street, Chapel Hill. The house was originally part of the Macnider homestead next door where she grew up; the property was eventually subdivided. Macnider married Lawrence T. Shadrach. Built by Inland Construction Company. Sold to Mabel Bason in 1966. Sold in 1977 to Whitehall Properties. Sold in 1994 to Nancy H. Nye. Color photos by Leilani Carter.


1961 - The Eugene A. and Alice H. Davison Residence, 1639 Marion Avenue, Durham. Sold in 1967 to Howard K. (Tom) and Christine Thompson. Sold in 1971 to Richard and Nadine Burton. Small renovations by Leon Meyers. 1987 kitchen and bathroom renovations by Dave Nichols. In 2003, Bill Waddell remodeled the living room, built by David Thaxton. Sold in 2014 to Stacy L. and Nicholas A. Velloff.  Sold in 2016 to Melanie F. Manion.

1961 - The Jack Preiss House, 2722 McDowell, Durham.



1962 - The William and Shirley Billings Residence, 1628 Marion Avenue, Durham. Sold in 2005 to Jeremy Farber, owner of Maplewood Building Company. Renovation by Center Studio Architecture with renovation construction by Farber.

1963 - The Daniel and Penelope Tosteson House, 4915 Whitfield Road, Durham. Located in Orange County. Originally, the front door was where the large windows are now, top photo. Sold in 1970 to William and Virginia Coleman. Sold in 1984 to E. L. and Pat Clark. Sold in 2015 to Jenny N. and Jonathan C. Cude.  Sold in 2017 to Lauren Smith and Dominic Hong.  2017 renovation designed by Phil Szostak.

1964 - 162 Overman Road, Goldsboro NC.  For sale in 2019.

1968 - The Carl and Sandy Eisendorfer Residence, 2706 Montgomery Street, Durham. Deeded  in 1972 to Sandy Eisendorfer. Sold to Edith Roberts in 1976.

Sources include: The Development of Modernism in Raleigh, Scott's archive at NCSU Special Collections, History of The North Carolina Chapter of the AIA 1913-1998: An Architectural Heritage by C. David Jackson and Charlotte V. Brown, Gregory Taylor, wife Nancy Scott, Stephen Dooda, James Brandt, Dick Rice, son David Malcolm Scott, Bern Walser, Binford Carr.