RICHARD BURKE (DICK) SCHNEDL (1926-2012)
Born in Lakeland FL and raised in Charlotte NC, Schnedl attended the Georgia Military Academy, graduating in 1944. He was a member of the first graduating class of the NCSU School of Design, where he studied under Jim Fitzgibbon, George Matsumoto, Terry Waugh, and Matthew Nowicki, graduating in 1952.
He worked briefly in 1950 for Leslie Boney Sr. in Wilmington and William Bumgarten in Raleigh before joining his brother Ed in 1953 to form Schnedl & Schnedl in Reidsville NC. An admirer of Frank Lloyd Wright, Schnedl's early residential designs reflect sophisticated open floor plans uncommon for Southern residences at the time. Around 1968, Schnedl partnered with architects Dick Mitchell, Tommy Hayes, and Calvin Howell at Hayes Howell in Southern Pines. He was the design partner for the award-winning African Pavilion building at the North Carolina Zoo. In 1984, Schnedl left Hayes Howell and moved to Bald Head Island, where over the remainder of his career he designed more than forty houses as his own firm.
2011 Interview by Yona Owens
1951 - The J. E. Foil Residence, 104 McCollum Drive, Reidsville NC. Landscape architecture by Lewis Clarke. Sold to Dorothy B. and Leonard E. Stadler Sr. Deeded in 2004 to Leonard E. Stadler Jr. Deeded in 2013 to Shana Morell Stadler. Sold later in 2013 to Fred L. McDowell Jr.
1956 - The Herbert S. and Leesel Rodgers Mace House, 1844 Pennrose Avenue, Reidsville NC. Landscape architecture by Lewis Clarke. Renovated. Sold in 2004 to Christopher T. Brown. Sold in 2014 to Azeza Ahmed Abouelfotoh and Magdy A. Razek Ghatts.
1959 - The Elizabeth F. and Henry C. Pace Jr. House, 824 Jay Street, Leaksville NC (now Eden NC). Commissioned in 1957. Landscape design by Lewis Clarke. Sold in 2010 to Phillip R. and Melody Hunnicutt. Sold in 2016 to Jaime Miguel and Laura T. Garmendia.
1961 - The Don P. and Winifred N. Blanton House, 901 Country Club Circle, Lexington NC. Sold in 1999 to R. Wayne and Dottie I. Covert. Sold in 2016 to Cindy Lou Daniel.
1966 - The Henry John (Hank) and Virginia H. Nave Residence, Southern Pines NC. Designed with Tommy Hayes. Landscape architecture by Lewis Clarke who added an entrance fountain and decks. Featured in Southern Living magazine. Located on a cul-de-sac, according to Mrs. Nave in 2011, but she does not recall the address. Do you know where it is?
1976 - The Frank W. and Majel F. Curtis House, 165 Ponte Vedra Drive, Pinehurst NC. Sold in 1997 to Patricia L. Rose. Addition built in 1997. Garage added in 1998. Deeded in 2007 to Paul F. Rose.
1979 - The Vincent and Marybelle S. Coe House, Country Club North Carolina, 45 Quail Hollow Drive, Pinehurst NC. Designed while working for Hayes Howell. Landscape design by Lewis Clarke. Sold in 2006 to William T. and Patricia Susette Wheeler. Sold in 2015 to Richard G. and Matha Innes Rohde.
Around 1986 - The Wessley House, aka Dune House, Bald Head Island NC. Survived a hurricane then moved near the Bald Head Island golf course.
1987 - The Philip G. and Alice E. Saunders residence, 10 Cape Fear Trail, Bald Head Island NC. Sold in 2002 to R. Doyle and Nancy S. Parrish.
1987 - The Wallace and Ann B. Martin House, 201 West Bald Head Wynd, Bald Head Island NC. Sold in 1991 to Ralph W. Lee III. Sold in 1998 to John F. and Kim H. Gottshall.
1988 - The Edgar W. Dunham House, 129 West Bald Head Wynd, Bald Head Island NC. Sold in 1991 to L. Bascom and Judith Rose Moore. Sold in 2009 to JJBS, LLC. Sold in 2011 to Cameron Thom and Janet H. Hilton.
1988 - The Richard T. Larsen and Patricia Dillon House, 7 Sabal Palm Trail, Bald Head Island NC. Sold in 1997 to Danny and Peggy McQueen. Sold in 1998 to Bald Head Island Shelter, LLC. Sold in 1999 to John E. Sexton. Sold in 2003 to Daniel and Kelli Menna. Sold in 2016 to Coats Custom Homes, LLC.
1988 - The Frank W. and Janet K. Hughes House, 503 South Bald Head Wynd, Bald Head Island NC. Sold in 1993 to John Christopher and Constance Virginia Bools. Sold in 1999 to George C. and Carol Toulas. Sold in 2005 to David S. and Emerson M. Berne and Freeman A. and Billie Jean Berne. Sold in 2011 to Adam and Amanda Cole. Sold in 2017 to Edward C. and Linda B. Arnold.
1988 - The Earl H. and Michael G. Marshall House, 39 Cape Fear Trail, Bald Head Island NC. Sold in 1994 to Stan A. and Lynne J. Fischer. Sold in 1995 to Ann and Bill Mullican Jr. Sold in 2002 to James G. and Catherine Berges.
Around 1987 - The Dick and Chris Virtue House, Bald Head Island NC.
1988 - The Shirley P. Lee House, 24 Dowitcher Trail, Bald Head Island NC. Sold in 2002 to John Kevin and Jan Clark Harrison.
1988 - The Frank S. and Virginia G. Love House, 125 West Bald Head Wynd, Bald Head Island NC. Sold in 2000 to Ann Guiton Coburn. Sold in 2015 to Chandler F. and Georgiann M. Howell. Available as a vacation rental.
1989 - The Steven J. and Pamela Jacobs House, 515 South Bald Head Wynd, Bald Head Island NC. Sold in 2000 to John S. and Sallie S. Russell. Deeded in 2009 to John S. and Kelley D. Russell.
1990 - The Cline and Henderlite House, 27 Tanbark Court, Bald Head Island NC. Built for Christine D. and Wayne A. Cline Jr. and Henrietta I. and John M. Henderlite Jr. Sold in 1995 to Austin T. Hyde Jr. and Sandra Lucas-Hyde. Sold in 2000 to David N. Farr.
1992 - The Diane P. and Thomas T. Cavanagh III House, 930 Holly Point Road, Southport NC.
Sources include: NCSU Libraries; son Richard Burke Schnedl; Yona Owens; Brunswick County.