ARTHUR RALPH COGSWELL, JR., FAIA (1930-2010)
Cogswell was born in Jacksonville FL. He graduated in Drama from UNC-Chapel Hill in 1952 and served in the Air Force during the Korean War. After attending the NCSU School of Design and graduating in 1959, he worked for Don Stewart at CPAA before opening up his own firm in 1962. In 1964, he hired Werner Hausler. By 1967 they were partners in Cogswell Hausler, a firm that lasted several decades. The partnership at one time was named CHR for Cogswell, Hausler, and Alan Rimer. One of their many notable commercial projects was the Duke Faculty Club (below). When the partnership broke up, their records were also divided. Records from Hausler, who died in 1999, were in a storage unit destroyed by Hurricane Floyd.
In 1972, Cogswell was named an FAIA, the youngest architect (42) at the time to receive that honor. His career exemplified former NCSU School of Design Dean Henry Kamphoefner’s conviction that “the social responsibilities are as vital as the design.” In his last years, he was occupied with an innovative process to relieve famine in Libya. In perfect health, he died of an accidental head injury sustained while walking his dog. Cogswell left a legacy of mid-century houses that are still prized today. Posthumously, he received the AIA NC Kamphoefner Prize honor in 2012.
Archives at NC State University
1960 - The Arthur Cogswell House I, 5 Marilyn Lane, Chapel Hill NC, which won an award from AIA North Carolina. Sold to Graham Gibbard in 1969. Sold to Samuel and Virginia Baron in 1972. Sold in 2003 to Jesse Prinz and Rachel Bernstein. Bottom photo by Leilani Carter.
Early 1960s - The Isaac and Trudy Taylor Residence Addition, Martha's Vineyard MA. Parents of musician James Taylor. Still owned by Trudy Taylor as of 2000.
1962 - The Bob Anderson House, 700 Kenmore Road, Chapel Hill NC. Anderson was an associate in Cogswell's firm. Sold in 1965 to Joseph and Nancy Pagano, and Anderson moved to a Don Stewart home on Brookview Drive. Sold in 1975 to Bernard Machen. The Machens added a family room around 1979 with Dail Dixon as the architect. Sold in 1991 to John and Helen Knapp who added a one car garage. Sold in 2002 to Boyd A. (Xan) Gregg, III and Bonnie Springer, still owners as of 2020. Photos by Xan Gregg.
1962 - The Mark and Jean Burnham Residence, 47 North Circle Drive, Chapel Hill NC. 1100 square feet. Sold in 1963 to Kenneth and Lorelei Mather. Sold in 1967 to Dennis and Katherine Marquardt. Sold in 1970 to Gene and Shirley Talley. Sold in 1971 to Joseph and Betsey Lowman. Sold in 1976 to Rita and Richard Mailman. Sold in 1991 to Joel and Teresa Erickson. Sold in 1994 to Deborah D. Wolf. Sold in 1996 to Beverly and Amos Tyndall. Sold in 2004 to Derrick and Chrissie Nehrenberg. Sold in 2009 to Taran Rosenthal.
1962 - The Oscar K. and Hope S. (Rita) Rice Residence, 311 Clayton Road, Chapel Hill NC. Built by Carl Ellington. Deeded in 2010 to daughters Pamela and Margarita Rice. Sold in 2013 to Valerie and Brad Merritt. Sold in 2019 to Kelly and Brendan McKenna. 2020 renovation by Ellen Cassilly.
1962 - The James Prothro Residence, 306 North Elliott Road, Chapel Hill NC. Built by Edward N. Mann. Sold in 1998 to Martin and Barbara Rodbell. Sold in 2000 to Shelia Bryan. Sold in 2015 to Kathryn Fortlouis and Bradley W. Farran. Photo by Dail Dixon.
1962 - The Kurt W. and Mary Louise Back House, 2735 McDowell Road, Durham NC. Still owned by the Backs as of 2020.
1962 - The George C. and Jean H. Thrasher House, 325 Glendale Drive, Chapel Hill NC. George Thrasher died shortly after moving in. Sold in 1977 to Eugene Gressman. Studio added 1978. Main house is around 2130 sf; studio is 525 sf. Sold in 2011 to Jerry Finn and Patricia Spakes who did a faithful renovation. Sold in 2018 to Richard Harrell and Darelyn M. and J. Neil Marshall.
1963 - The David Hill House, 205 Wood Circle, Chapel Hill NC. Hill was an engineer and also built the house. While Cogswell drew the plans, Hill always considered the house to be his own idea. Features a unique concrete roof. Sold in 1971 to Joel Fleishman, still owner as of 2020. Color photos by George Smart.
1963 - The Oscar A. Pickett House, 404 Clayton Road, Chapel Hill NC. Built by Edward N. Mann. Five bedrooms. Sold in 1968 to Helen M. O'Brien. Sold in 1969 to Mitchell Lyman. Sold in 2008 to the Brookwood Corporation. Sold in 2009 to Alison Valentine Smith. Sold in 2017 to Meira Epplein and Jeffrey Jacobson.
1963 - The Halliman H. and Shirley H. Winsborough House, 2719 McDowell Street, Durham NC. Sold in 1967 to John and Nada Staddon. Sold in 1987 to Robert and Holly Dykes. Sold in 1995 to Radian. Sold in 1999 to Radian International LLC. Sold in 1999 to Stacy and Thomas Nechyba. Renovation around 2006 by Ellen Cassilly. Photo by Julie Hollenbeck.
1963 - The Donald D. and Donna J. Weir House, 21 Shady Lane, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1971 to David Alfred C. Daw. Sold in 1975 to Dietrich and Edna Schroeer. Sold in 2017 to Margaret R. Russ. Top photo by Leilani Carter; rest by Dietrich Schroeer.
1963 - The Carl Gottschalk Renovation, 1300 Mason Farm Road, Chapel Hill NC. Commissioned 1961. A small Cape Cod, architect unknown, originally built in 1947. Charles Sappenfield did a renovation in 1963. Cogswell did a larger reovation/addition of great room/master suite in 1968, featured in Better Homes and Gardens, plus a 1969 addition of an auxiliary kitchen/dining/living area (creating an in-law suite). 1979 addition by Carl Gottschalk Jr., including converting the deck into a covered porch. Deeded to Susan Fellner in 1996. Garage added in 1996. Sold in 2005 to Brian and Heather Payne. Photos by Taylor Lewis. Top photo by Trey Thomas. The Paynes did an extensive kitchen renovation reverting back to the original 1947 dining room, redid the interior, and added a greenhouse. For sale in 2020.
1964 - The Martin and Musia Lakin House, 2709 McDowell Street, Durham NC. Commissioned 1963. 2167 square feet. Sold in 2010 to Randi Lyders. Sold in 2020 to J. David Cocca and Mary Baecher-Cocca.
1964 - The William J. and Dorothy Koch House, 401 Clayton Road, Chapel Hill NC. Built by Charlie R. Parker. Photos by Gordon Schenck. Won an AIANC award in 1965. Sold in 1974 to Thomas Kenan, who added a dining room. Sold in 1986 to Joseph Rowand. Sold in 1999 to Mark and Joyce Fink. Sold in 2002 to David and Lori Paquette. Still owned by the Paquettes as of 2020. Bottom photo by Trey Thomas.
1964 - The Carroll Hollis House, 104 Glendale Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1995 to Eleanor Rollins. Sold in 2000 to Daniel London. Sold in 2002 to Ralph McCaughan and Andrea Reusing, still owners as of 2020. Architect Louis Cherry did a substantial addition. Color photos by James West.
1964 - The Dean Smith House, 613 Morgan Creek Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1975 to Margaret Ann Smith. Sold in 1978 to Donald Whitenack. Sold in 1983 to Stanley Black. Sold in 1987 to Burr Eichelman. Sold in 1990 to Bert and Rheta Swain. Sold in 2001 to Rachel and Riley Muse. Sold in 2006 to Cheryl Wicker; deeded later in 2006 to Pearson Wicker LLC. Sold in 2008 to Emily Kass and Charles Weinraub and extensively renovated by Phil Szostak. Sold in 2016 to David and Jean Haas.
1964 - The William and Gloria Blythe House, 114 Hillcrest Circle, Chapel Hill NC. Deeded to Gloria Blythe. Carport addition, kitchen and den additions by Dail Dixon. Bedroom tower addition by Toby Savage and Cogswell. Transferred to her estate in 2013. Transferred in 2014 to Anne D. Blythe. Color photos by Julie Hollenbeck and Lucy Pittman.
1964 - The Enno E. Kraehe House, 205 Glenhill Lane, Chapel Hill NC. 2489 sf. Sold in 1968 to Sydney and Pia Afriat. Sold in 1972 to Parker and Janet Reist. Sold in 2013 to Cornelia Stutz who did a renovation. Top photo by Trey Thomas.
1965 - The Martha Jane and Clinton K. Atkinson, Sr. House, 341 Pine Lake Drive, Siler City NC. Likely built by Van Thomas Contractors of Siler City. Located in the Siler City Country Club development. Sold in 1975 to Margaret J. and Donald Lee Tarkenton. Sold in 2017 to Christina S. Winter and Christopher R. Allen.
1965 - The John and Vivien Dixon House, 216 Glenhill Lane, Chapel Hill NC. Willed in 2007 to daughter Miriam Dixon. Sold in 2011 to John and Virginia Bethea who did a 2012 renovation.
1966 - The Marion Townend House, 411 Clayton Road, Chapel Hill NC. Marion married Rupert Hanny and transferred title into their names. Sold in 1979 to Burke and Barbara Judd. Sold in 2005 to Gail and Beryl Rosen. Sold in 2014 to David Lanier/Edgar R. Blount Jr. Trustees. Color photo by Lucy Pittman.
1966 - The John I. Boswell, Jr. House, 505 Morgan Creek Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 2002 to Patrick Martell. Sold in 2005 to Kuo Chan Fang and Wang Li-Rung. Sold in 2015 to Yi-Kuo Wang and spouse. Top 3 photos by Patrick Martell; bottom photo by Dail Dixon.
1966 - The Mott P. and Jane McCulloch Blair, III House #2, 15 Pine Forest Drive, Siler City NC. Located in the Siler City Country Club. Built by Van Thomas Contractor. Landscaping by Dick Bell. Featured in the News and Observer in 1966. Won an AIANC Award of Merit. See the NC Miscellaneous Statewide page for the Blairs' other two Modernist homes. Sold in 1993 to Ann W. and John P. Leonard. Sold in 2020 to David Bacon and Gerald Garley, who are planning a faithful restoration.
1966 - The Will L. and Carolyn W. London House, 2211 Wilshire Drive, Durham NC. 3900 square feet. Featured in Home Building Ideas, Spring/Summer 1970. Sold for the first time in 2020 to James and Erin C. Cheston.
1966 - The Earl Edward (Mitch) and Marlys Mitchell House, 220 Glenhill Lane, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 2012 to Ross Barrett and Danielle Coriale. Sold in 2013 to Margaret Roth-Warren and Scott Warren. Deeded in 2017 to Stephamie Austin and Scott Warren. Top two photos by Julie Hollenbeck; other photos by Greg Taylor.
1966 - The Ann and Arthur Johnson House, 451 Lakeshore Lane, Chapel Hill NC. 1.2 acres, with a striking view of the adjacent Eastwood Lake, perhaps the nicest vista in Chapel Hill. Sold in 1998 to James A. Protzman and Jane Delano Brown. They made three additions and numerous renovations, all nearly indistinguishable from the original structure. Every part of the house seems as if it has always been there. There's a Finnish-style sauna down by the water. Renovations by Ken Friedlein. Still owned by the Protzmans as of 2020.
1967 - The Ellis and Virginia Rolett House, 640 Morgan Creek Road, Chapel Hill NC. According to Ellis Rolett, "The house that we built was actually a second design. Arthur had originally designed a steel frame-stucco panel house, which we scrapped after the bids came in too high. (I had wanted something like the Farnsworth House!) Some years after moving from Chapel Hill I was told that features of the unbuilt house were incorporated into the design of the Eastgate Fire Station."
Sold to John Carroll in 1974. Sold in 1976 to Thomas and Vici Cook who still own it as of 2020. B/W photos by Taylor Lewis and Ellis Rolett; color photos by Vici Cook.
1967 - The Thomas Gustin Kiffney and Patricia Kiffney House, 212 Glenhill Lane, Chapel Hill NC. Built by Edward N. Mann. Sold to their son Thomas G. Kiffney, Jr. who had Cogswell do a renovation. Sold in 1981 to Jon and Carol Viegel. Sold in 1988 to Craig J. Calhoun and Pamela Delargy. Sold in 1996 to David and Linda Passman. Deeded to Linda Passman. Photo by Leilani Carter.
1967 - The Victor and Elizabeth (Libby) Greulach House, 1815 South Lakeshore Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1986 to Michael William Hubbard. Sold in 1993 to Stanley Fish and Jane Tompkins. Sold in 1998 to David Hawkins. Deeded in 2012 to David M. Hawkins and James C. Boyles. Bottom photo by Leilani Carter.
1967 - The Leonard White Residence, 211 Glenhill, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1990 to Scott McLean. Sold by his heirs in 2015 to Beverly and Joseph Goodgame.
1968 - The Peter G. and Ida Philas House, 1704 Curtis Drive, Chapel Hill NC. B/W photo by Taylor Lewis. Sold to Harvey and Ruth Wagner in 1992. Sold in 2017 to Amber A. Lombardi and Bradley G. Merritt. Sold in 2019 to Fernanda Toro and Marc Bjurlin. Color photos by Lucy Pittman.
1968 - The Robert Black and J. Ormond Sanderson House, aka Straw Valley, 5420 Durham Chapel Hill Boulevard, Chapel Hill NC. Designed by Cogswell-Hausler, who also did the other building (5504) on the property. For years, the house and adjacent buildings were used as retail. As of 2014 owned by Scott Bednaz, who renovated the site.
1968 - The Billy W. and Nancy (Lil) Royal House, 1703 Allard, Chapel Hill NC. Commissioned 1964. Built by Roy McRee Spratt. Project architect, Tim Fossey. Photos by Julie Hollenbeck. As of 2020 still owned by the Royals. Photos by Trey Thomas.
1968 - The James O. Trogdon House, 1049 Neely Drive, Asheboro NC. 2754 sf. Upon Mr. Trogdon's death in the early 1970s, sold to architect Hyatt Hammond. Sold to Jim Allen of J. H. Allen Construction. Sold in 1999 to W. Joseph Trogdon, Jr., James O. Trogdon's nephew and president of SE Trogdon Construction Company.
1969 - The Arthur and Betty Cogswell House II, aka Seymore Haynes House, 308 North Elliott Road, Chapel Hill NC. Won an AIANC award in 1971. Upon divorce, transferred to Betty Cogswell. Deeded to her heirs. Stabilization renovation by Phil Szostak. Sold in 2015 to Harrison E. Haynes and Chloe B. Seymore. 2015-2017 renovation designed and built by Charles Holden. Top two photos by Trey Thomas.
1969 - The Donald G. and Jane D. Mathews House, 1403 Gray Bluff Trail, Chapel Hill NC. The Mathews had an addition done in about 1980, nearly doubling the size of the house. They also added a garage cut into the hillside. Werner Hausler was the architect for the renovation. Sold in 1984 to Bret C. Williams. Sold in 1986 to Robert and Sylvia Lauterborn. They replaced the single-ply glass with thermopane and put on a new white rubber roof which insulates the house in the winter and reflects heat in the summertime. B/W photos by Taylor Lewis. Color photos by Bob Lauterborn. Transferred to heirs in 2013.
1970 - The William H. May III Residence Remodeling, 611 Rock Creek Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold to Davor Vugrin in 1982. Sold in 1985 to John L. Currie. Sold in 1986 to Cheryl Comstock Hardman. Sold in 2004 to Kambiz and Anne Zangi. Photos by Julie Hollenbeck.
1971 - The Myron Silverman Residence, 320 Ridgecrest Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 2004 to Sam and Sashi Rao. Bottom photo by Nicole Alvarez.
1972 - The Fred and Nancy Brooks Beach House, 321 Caswell Beach Road, Caswell Beach NC. Designed to be hurricane-proof. Still owned by the Brooks as of 2010.
1972 - The Greenwood Park Apartments, 1702 Tubello Court, Marion SC.
1972 - Apartment Complex, Liberty Drive and Raleigh Road, Thomasville NC. 288-unit complex set for construction in February 1973 by an Atlanta-based developer. Probably unbuilt.
1973 - The Brookwood Condominiums, 250 South Estes Drive, Chapel Hill NC. 120+ units. Example unit 35-C, sold in 2019 to Chit Maung and Ka Wah.
1973 - The Michael A. Stegman Remodel, 1514 Cumberland Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1991 to Jonathan Bregman. Sold in 1993 to Keith Quattrocchi. Sold in 1996 to Lenore and Paul Martin.
1973 - The Ingleside West Apartments, aka Willow Woods, 3015 Ingleside Drive, High Point NC. Developed by Phillips Development. 112 unit townhouse complex.
Around 1973 - The Murray and Anne Sylvia Bonder House, 170 Autumn Drive, on Holt Lake in Smithfield NC. Commissioned 1971. Sold to Richard S. and Irene K. Robinson in 1980. A dispute with Raleigh Federal Savings and Loan over the financing for the Robinsons made it to the NC Court of Appeals in 1982. Sold in 1992 to Gary W. and Karen P. Lyon.
1974 - The Ann Paige Richardson and Tom Massengale House, 1503 Arboretum Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Project architect, Toby Savage. 1980 addition by Joe Sam Queen of Waynesville with project architect Steve Arnaudin, bottom two photos. Sold in 2001 to David and Deborah Threadgill. Sold in 2014 to Carla Valetich and Andrew Leeb, who changed the exterior color. Sold in 2019 to Christian and Amelia Fisher-Starzynski.
1975 - The Joseph and Marjorie Davis Vacation House, 1116 Falling Stream, on Lake Trace in Sanford NC. 2300 square feet. Sold in 1992 to James and Barbara Davison. Sold in 1994 to Tom and Luhan DeRemer who added a detached garage and completely renovated the house. Sold in 2011 to Brooks and Michael Davino.
1975 - The George Harper Duplex, 216-218 McCauley Street, Chapel Hill NC. Harper built it as a student rental. Sold in 1982 to William (Bill) Mullen. According to Mullen, Werner Hausler did the design while working with Cogswell. Addition put on in 2000. Sold in 2011.
1977 - The Seymour and Sue Grufferman House, 4602 Oak Hill Road, Chapel Hill NC. Sold in 1988 to Andrew Fekete and Deborah Walsh. Sold in 2012 to Sue and Alvin Stutz.
1977 - The Amanda Cogswell House, 2375 Val D'Isere Circle, Steamboat Springs CO. Cogswell's daughter.
1978 - The Pine Glade Apartments, 509 Pine Glades Avenue, Siler City NC. Run by the First Missionary Baptist Church.
1980 - The Heritage Apartments, 124 Heritage Drive, Walnut Cove NC.
1982 - The Gateway Village Apartments, 400 Lakeside Drive, Hillsborough NC.
1983 - The Cedar Ridge Apartments, 1000 Jericho Hardison Street, Mocksville NC.
1983 - The Oxford Rent-to-Convert Apartments, Oxford NC. Unknown if built.
1984 - The Northgate Apartments, 101 Northgate Lane, Bessemer City NC.
1984 - The Wake Forest Residence Hall, Winston Salem NC. Unknown if built.
1985 - The Woodhaven Apartments, 1901 Woodhaven Drive, Albemarle NC.
1988 - The Forest Oaks Senior Living Apartments, 1911 Midwood Drive, Albemarle NC.
1988 - The Three Flags Housing Development, Culpepper VA. Also renovations in 1990.
1989-1990 - The Pungo Village Apartments, 928 Pungo Village Road, Belhaven NC.
1991 - The Walnut Street Apartments, Goldsboro NC. Unknown if built.
1992 - The Mallard Creek Apartments, 245 South 5th Street, Aurora NC.
1993 - The Andrew Walker House, aka Tara, 116 Governors Road, Windsor NC.
1993 - The Orchard View Apartments, 430 Orchard View Drive, Franklin NC. 24 one-bedroom and 36 two-bedroom units.
1994 - The Scott J. Parker Remodel, 150 Dixie Drive, Chapel Hill NC. Photos by Julie Hollenbeck and Nicole Alvarez.
1995 - Proposed Apartments for developer Sanford Bailey, Wake Forest NC. Unbuilt.
1996 - Wynne View Mixed-Use Development, 293 East Water Street, Belhaven NC. Entire property for sale in 2019-2020.
1997 - Proposed Congregate Housing, Plymouth NC. Unbuilt.
1997 - The UCC Living Center, aka Covenant Place Retirement Apartments, 103 Culbreth Road, Carrboro NC.
1997 - The Mattamuskeet Village Apartments, 32105 US 264, Englehard NC.
1998 - The Elm Green Apartments, 100 Elm Green Loop Drive, Newport NC.
1999 - The Noah Apartments, aka United Church Retirement Homes, 3800 Lofland Way, New Bern NC.
Year unknown - The Bill Scarborough Residence. Unbuilt. A crescent-shaped house elevated in the trees.
Year unknown - The Doug Brown Residence, Chapel Hill NC. Unbuilt.
Year unknown - The Pursor House, Chapel Hill NC. Unknown if built.
Year unknown - The Peck, Parker, and Stipe Housing Developments, NC. Unknown if built.
Year unknown - The Shadblow Apartments, Columbia SC. Probably unbuilt.
Year unknown - The Proposed Bob Voitle Addition, Chapel Hill NC. Unknown if built.
Sources include: Arthur Cogswell; AIANC; The Town and Gown Architecture of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1795-1975 by M. Ruth Little; Xan Gregg; Bonnie Springer; Saniel Bonder; Patrick Martell; Scott McLean; Dail Dixon; Ellis Rolett.